What Value Tone Cap in you Tele?

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2531
As above, looking to re-do the wiring on my Tele - SS with a 4-way switch. Wondering what the general consensus is?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    .047uF. (.05uF in old money.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Mine is 250k even though I have a filtertron in the neck - sounds right.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671

munckee said:

That's one hell of a capacitor.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415

munckee said:

That's one hell of a capacitor.

Don't you use that size. ahem....

Capacitor is 0.047!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2531
    Was thinking .047, but conflicting youtube vids sent me on a bit of a journey!
    And .022 for HB Tele right?
    Depends how hot the pickups are and how midrangy you want it, and whether you tend to use both pickups or only one mostly.

With a two-volume, two-tone Gibson with 500K pots and .022uF caps, the effective values in the middle position are 250K and .044uF because both networks are in parallel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Depends how hot the pickups are and how midrangy you want it, and whether you tend to use both pickups or only one mostly.

With a two-volume, two-tone Gibson with 500K pots and .022uF caps, the effective values in the middle position are 250K and .044uF because both networks are in parallel.
    :+1: 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    ICBM said:

sorry to poke your knowledge-glands yet again... does this apply only to standard/modern/non-50s style gibson wiring? 

has anyone tried firebird pickups with 250k pots + .047uF  caps and decided that it was better or right?
    bbill335 said:

sorry to poke your knowledge-glands yet again... does this apply only to standard/modern/non-50s style gibson wiring?
    No, it applies to all 4-control guitars with the standard Gibson 2-vol, 2-tone arrangement. There is some variation in that it applies progressively less when the volume controls are turned down with the modern wiring, in which case it's more the case with the 50s wiring since the tone controls are always connected directly together when both pickups are on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Okay next question. If you have a HSS strat is it worth having one of the 3 pots 500k? If so is it more beneficial to have that pot as the volume or the tone or is it negligible?
    Thanks @ICBM !
    :)

So many ways of doing HSS... if it has three knobs my favourite is a 500K volume, 500K/.022uF tone control for the humbucker, and 250K/.047uF tone control for the single coils with a 470K resistor to give a simulated 250K volume.

If you want to keep the two separate tone controls for the single coils and none for the humbucker, I prefer a 250K volume.

ICBM said:
    :)

So many ways of doing HSS... if it has three knobs my favourite is a 500K volume, 500K/.022uF tone control for the humbucker, and 250K/.047uF tone control for the single coils with a 470K resistor to give a simulated 250K volume.

If you want to keep the two separate tone controls for the single coils and none for the humbucker, I prefer a 250K volume.
    :+1: