Jagstang opinions

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12421
one up for sale near me, opinions needs please, does the neck pickup do Stratty sounds?
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14571
    Opinion? Brown and sticky.

Stratty sound? Not really. The vibrato and scale length differences make this impossible.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    They look cool...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72591
    Utterly crap in every way in my experience.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9735
    Played one once. Despite being many moons ago it still sticks in my mind for taking ‘utterly crap’ to a new level.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I like mine, find it really comfortable to play.  Have swapped the pickups for a JB & Lil’59 and blocked the trem. 

Will get around to changing the switching to make one a three-way selector and the other a coil split, maybe. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    My dream guitar in 1997 sadly when 1999 came round I could afford one it was shit. 
    This is coming from a massive nirvana fan but sadly this guitar is gash. 
    The mustang is much better. 
    The jagstang neck is so narrow and the guitar has no bass or sustain. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not a stratty sound at all.
    I love mine - bought it in ‘96 but i’m not really keen on the neck pickup - the bridge humbucker is ok but i have thought of upgrading both and probably will do.
    That said, i had mine set up by rob williams and it played superb after.
    The neck on mine feels thin but is lovely,and it looks a cool guitar.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12421
    Thanks guys I think you’ve made my decision pretty easy.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    The only Jag-Stang guitars with any hope of being decent were the two that the Fender Custom Shop built for Kurt. 

The story of the model is well documented. It was a decoupage monstrosity, founded entirely on visual aspects, with no regard to fundamental constructional requirements. It seemed like a good idea at the time to a mind addled by chronic pain and powerful opiate medication.

IMO, anyone needing a playable electric guitar with the essential sonic elements of the Jag-Stang would be better served by the Fender (Japan) Pawn Shop '51 or a Jazzmaster. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just had a look at some YouTube vids out of interest and they sound ok to me but more importantly they look great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Please yourself.

Better still, take your hands, ears and brain to a place where you can test examples of this guitar.

Some things about musical instruments are subjective. A neck profile that is comfortable for me might seem cripplingly awkward for somebody else ... and vice versa.

Some things about musical equipment are wholly objective. No amount of wishful thinking can disguise the fact that critical areas of a product are inadequate. There is a limit to what can be forgiven.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    The Squier Venus has the same configuration, sounds better and looks the nuts.

The Jagstang looks like it went a bit wrong. And I LOVE weird Fenders. Just not that one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They look very good upside down.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    The Squier Venus has the same configuration, sounds better and looks the nuts.

The Jagstang looks like it went a bit wrong. And I LOVE weird Fenders. Just not that one.
    The Venus is a brilliant guitar. Had two of them over the years and both played and sounded great. The neck is a nice big handful too. 
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    I used to own two of them, blue and red. If you like mustangs but find them a bit small they’re great. 

Didn’t get on with the bridge pickup so I got a pickguard for two single coils like a mustang and it was my main live guitar for a while. 

The necks are really thin but very comfortable and playable. The Japanese tremolos aren’t the best but that’s the same for the mustangs too. Get a vintage unit on them and they’re stable as anything else. 

The neck pickup is a Texas special and as above isn’t going to sound like a strat, because it’s basically a mustang... but it got me close enough for Frusciante stuff. The stock humbucker is trash though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27211
    Ive always seen them as an exercise in how to make a Mustang worse, tbh
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 396
    edited June 2019
    Since reading this thread ive played mine quite a bit and whilst they are a bit marmite i still really like mine.
    My neck pup is bad though, and i will change it.
    I’ll probably change the bridge pup too but it does sound great with some overdrives.
    I do wonder if cobain had lived whether it would have changed further though seeing how he wasnt quite happy with them at the tine he died.
    I will say though mine played horrendous until i had it set up - the difference was amazing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72591
    They look very good upside down in a ditch and on fire
    FTFY

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom