Dodgy eBay pickup—return or partial refund?

What's Hot
xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
I bought this Seymour Duncan on eBay for what I thought was a fair price. The listing picture showed the original braided two-conductor cable, but when it arrived, that had been replaced with a bodge job:

There's glue everywhere, including what looks like a fair bit between bobbin and baseplate. The pickup does appear to work though. I haven't installed it but I pushed the wires to a guitar cable and tapped the polepieces with a screwdriver, and got a thump through the amp. 

AFAIK the extended cable is not screened, although I don't really know how to tell.

Link to uncropped image.

Do I just send it back or accept a partial refund? If a partial refund, what would be reasonable?

My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’d be sending that back I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    I'd just send it back it's clearly a bodge job and might have caused other issues. They've tried to deceive you with the images so I wouldn't risk it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72584
    If you're unhappy, send it back. If it doesn't correspond to the image then it is 'not as described', and Ebay will side with you in any dispute.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    ICBM said:
    If you're unhappy, send it back. If it doesn't correspond to the image then it is 'not as described', and Ebay will side with you in any dispute.
    I am unhappy, but I don't know how unhappy I ought to be. I don't know if the replacement cable is functionally as good as the original even if it's less aesthetic. I don't know how likely the cable is to need replacing again, and I don't know how difficult having all that glue everywhere would make that. 

Basically I need to know what the pickup is worth in its current condition and what putting it back to something like original condition would cost. Then I can make an informed decision. @Alegree, would you repair something like this?
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10658
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    If that's epoxy or even hot melt glue ... trying to remove it to change the output lead would probably kill the pickup and necessitate a rewind on one coil at least. Get your money back. I would probably try repair a vintage PAF with this bodgery ... but not a mass produced modern pickup. Like that it's worth £20 or less in my opinion.
    I would charge £15 plus postage for a new output lead ... but I'd recommend you not to get it done!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    If that's epoxy or even hot melt glue ... trying to remove it to change the output lead would probably kill the pickup and necessitate a rewind on one coil at least. Get your money back.
    Right you are! Thanks all.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14570
    Not as described. Return it for a full refund.

SPECIFIC REASON FOR REJECTION 
    The lumpiness of the blue heat shrink insulation is worrying. What the hell could be going on at that point of the output cable that would require electrical connections? All that is supposed to occur at one end of the pickup. 

GENERAL CLUES FOR DUNCAN HUMBUCKERS
    The fact that the waxed paper tape around the copper coils is visible is a giveaway that the pickup is not wholly original.

Covered humbuckers should have residual solder blobs on the baseplate where the metal cover used to be fastened.

With a few honourable exceptions, open bobbins Duncan humbuckers should have a couple of turns of black "fabric" tape wrapped around their edges. This overlaps the raised lip of the metal baseplate. If the fabric tape looks a bit stretched at the ends of the pickup, it has probably undergone a magnet swap or, possibly, a tidy conversion from single con + braid output cable to something more versatile.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

GENERAL CLUES FOR DUNCAN HUMBUCKERS
    The fact that the waxed paper tape around the copper coils is visible is a giveaway that the pickup is not wholly original.

Covered humbuckers should have residual solder blobs on the baseplate where the metal cover used to be fastened.

With a few honourable exceptions, open bobbins Duncan humbuckers should have a couple of turns of black "fabric" tape wrapped around their edges. This overlaps the raised lip of the metal baseplate. If the fabric tape looks a bit stretched at the ends of the pickup, it has probably undergone a magnet swap or, possibly, a tidy conversion from single con + braid output cable to something more versatile.

It's a Slash signature. I've had a look online at some images and I'm not certain, but from the images I can find, I think it's normal for there to be no fabric tape on these. Anyway, I have initiated a return.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14570
    I included the general points to assist in anybody who is wondering why some pre-owned pickups on eBay seem so unusually inexpensive.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I reckon if you were to open it up you could disconnect the bobbin leads from the output cable leads then you could get the output cable out without risk. But the difficulty of doing that would depend on what the adhesive is.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72584
    It looks like hot-melt glue to me, but I still wouldn't risk it unless the pickup was under £20, as OilCityPickups said. Or better still, free.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    “If there’s any doubt, then there’s no doubt.”

Send it back.