Chapman Rob Scallion Guitar

What's Hot
chrisjac2chrisjac2 Frets: 67
i have no idea who Rob Scallion is and I don’t play Metal but I really like this guitar!

https://www.chapmanguitars.co.uk/guitars/ml1-rs/

I think ink it looks really nice and ticks all the boxes.

has anyone played one, what are your thoughts?

not after a shred machine, I play rock, pop and blues. Am I right in thinking this is versatile  enough for that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    I don't know who he is either but sounds like he knows his onions
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    Cort do a similar looking six-string model that is a lot more reasonably priced - if I remember correctly @LuttiS might have one?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10275
    Scallon. 

He’s a popular YouTuber. 

You can play anything on anything. A pickup change is easy enough. 

If you want it, get it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I think his original Chapman signature guitar was an 8 string so that'll tell you all you need to know about his playing style! :)
  • Despite one of his signatures being an 8 string, he's not a complete "metal only" monster that people normally associate with Chapman endorsees. 

Have a little look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzBFgwkU0A

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2363
    It reminds me of some old cheapy, an Adam Black Orion if memory serves correct.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408
    edited June 2019
    I think his original Chapman signature guitar was an 8 string so that'll tell you all you need to know about his playing style!
    Well that's not entirely true. He's hardly the djentiest player - he seems to use it more for clean percussive/tapped pieces. As said above, you can play anything on anything - not all 8 strings are made just for metal.

That said, to get back on topic - the 6-string looks like a decent guitar, if you like it OP, get it!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    The Chapman I've found myself looking at recently has been this Tele...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    When I can really play I would like a signature chapman like the captain
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408
    edited June 2019

Same. I've played other Chapmans and the neck's fine, so I'm tempted to dive in blind next time one pops up used. Love the thin finish so should scratch the Tele itch perfectly.
    Tim
  • chrisjac2chrisjac2 Frets: 67

Ooh that is lovely 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I also found myself looking at the RS before now. A couple years ago. 

Prices on it never seem to drop, but it is higher spec than most chapmans outside of the pro line.. 

Where its been around for a while, I don't know if its been redone recently, like the mk3 run of chapmans have. 
    In which case check the weight if you can. The mk2/ second run stuff were really heavy, but then again the scallon was built different so maybe weight was always good with em.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Despite one of his signatures being an 8 string, he's not a complete "metal only" monster that people normally associate with Chapman endorsees. 

Have a little look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzBFgwkU0A

That was cool
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4202
    Rob Scallon seems like a cool guy, some of his stuff is very clever and he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, which is a huge thing for me. There's a great video on YouTube of him going to the guitar store he hung out in as a kid and playing one of his signature guitars. Seemed like he spent a lot of time chatting and hanging out too, lots of happy people there that day
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Always thought this was a great looking guitar, the nicest looking Chapman.

For me a signature guitar has nothing to do with the person, always found it strange that anyone would choose a guitar because they liked the person it's named for. E.g. I bought the Bernie Marsden because it was hyped as a great guitar, the name related to Mr Marsden himself as little as the name Les Paul relates to that guy.

If anything, though, when I Googled who Rob Scallon was when that guitar came out, I was almost negatively affected to find it was a "youtuber" (hate that word). I actually like Scallon and it's nothing against him, I think it's that I've now got to an age where the younger generation are totally different to my own and I just get curmudgeonly about it!

I've considered buying the guitar itself based on looks before. If I wasn't using it for high gain modern metal type sounds I'd anticipate a pickup swap but that's purely prejudice, it might not require one at all.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader
    I made a guitar in a similar way over a year ago now.. I used Back Walnut for the neckthrough bit..  I prefer the way I did my headstock though with the ash wings  :)

https://i.imgur.com/03dbXlo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fdR7ZOT.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/NJ3iSTv.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Rob Scallon seems like a cool guy, some of his stuff is very clever and he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, which is a huge thing for me. There's a great video on YouTube of him going to the guitar store he hung out in as a kid and playing one of his signature guitars. Seemed like he spent a lot of time chatting and hanging out too, lots of happy people there that day
    Searched for that one and it is a cool video, can see why he's popular.

Hilariously, almost like a satirical spoof, Mary Spender shows up for a second for absolutely no reason! It's as if any time a popular YouTuber is recording a video her (or her management) ears perk up and she flies in to get herself in a couple of frames.

Now that that's lead me to some more links, his channel it actually really good, now on to one about a massive pipe organ, pretty cool.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4202
    thegummy said:
    Searched for that one and it is a cool video, can see why he's popular.

Hilariously, almost like a satirical spoof, Mary Spender shows up for a second for absolutely no reason! It's as if any time a popular YouTuber is recording a video her (or her management) ears perk up and she flies in to get herself in a couple of frames.

Now that that's lead me to some more links, his channel it actually really good, now on to one about a massive pipe organ, pretty cool.
    The hurdy gurdy videos are interesting. It's cool too that he looks genuinely interested in learning about other instruments, rather than just making a 'does it djent' style nonsense thing for the lols
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom