Guitar Nerds Podcast

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
*please note: this is a light hearted ramble/rant/vent but I have a keyboard and internet access too so ...* 

After stumbling over their Podcast recently, I must say its pretty funny and pretty entertaining.  For those who dont know, its an hour long show here they have abit of banter, talk about some news and highlight the guitar shows they have been to and new producs they have seen there. Some of the guys are actually gigging and playing while one is a self confessed home player so thats a mix, real world mix. Defo worth checking out. 

However...

Joe Branton has decided to do a solo effort called Bar Chords where he gets to discuss things that interest him. I listened to the first one of these last night and it has to be said, its a bit of a ramble through his own thoughts and it no where near as good as Guitar Nerds. However, whats REALLLLLY got my goat in both this pod cast and a recent guitar nerds podcast advert on Youtube, Hes essentially going for easy, low hanging fruit by slagging off guitars made in the 2000s, nu metal and non traditional guitar makers, Ibanez and "the most awful guitar company" Strandberg.  He also slated  Plini (a Strandberg user) as just "tappy".  If you've ever listened to Plini (which people may not have simply because he plays a strandberg), its a part of his style but my god, what a sweeping generalisation and clearly hasn't listened to any of his stuff properly. Joe has even said he interviewed Plini and then referred to him as playing "Bedroom tricks".  I understand why he may not like him, but why not just focus on something else than brand bashing and player bashing for journalism? 

I just do not get why still.. in 2019 ....people are STILL bashing Ibanez, nu metal, anything that isn't a strat with a tube screamer and Fender. I get you like what you like.. but my god, dont make your stuff sound cooler by slagging off something that dares to be made within 30 years.. rather than the last 60....
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    What is this " nu metal" you speak of?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    It's got dyslexia, whatever it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, Like a chump, but perhaps the guy is just having one of those days when you don't wanna wake up, everything is fucked, everybody sucks, or perhaps it's all about the "he says, she says" bullshit?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I listen to it at day one. Previous to its inception it was the GAK (UK guitar shop) podcast as all the guys worked for them at the time, GuitarNerds came about from them all moving on to other jobs bit by bit. 

I stopped listening to it about 2 years ago as it basically turned into listening to a load of in-jokes with adverts in between. 

I just think it had more promise than it lived up to whether it be as a community or a brand. I’m not sure what the podcast is like now but their instagram is terrible and overall they don’t offer a reason to check in without anything they do on any platform. 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 898
    A bit of a broken record here but, having listened to a lot of guitar podcasts, No Guitar is Safe is the best one I have found so far.
    If you aren't getting on with Nerds, give it a try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    If you've listened to Guitar Nerds for more than a few episodes you ought to have the measure of Branton (the Internet persona at least- I doubt he's exactly like that in real life). He’s opinionated and a little eccentric and has his own particular loves and hates that he's very vocal about.

Putting on a Branton solo podcast and complaining that you got a load of Joe Branton seems a bit... 

And suggesting that Guitar Nerds is about bashing anything that isn't "a strat with a Tubescreamer and a Fender" is pretty off base.

You're thinking of That Pedal Show.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Apologies, the strat into tube etc was more aimed at him rather than the Guitar Nerds. 

In my defense, I've listened to a few of the guitar nerds podcasts and Joe's "persona" isn't too bad TBF, it's just his solo outing which has irked me. 
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I will still be slagging off nu metal in 2039. There will be no respite.

The premise of Bar Chords is basically 'Joe gets drunk and rambles', I doubt he's going to have a nuanced take on Plini (who let's face it, is pretty tappy) after half a bottle of anything. I'd rather listen to Joe Branton on bath salts than watch five seconds of the charisma vacuum that is That Pedal Show.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2412
    Calling Plini - arguably one of the most tasteful lead guitar players of recent years - as "tappy" is just ignorant. That man has some of the most beautiful phrasing I've ever heard. 
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10339
    robgilmo said:
    Yes, Like a chump, but perhaps the guy is just having one of those days when you don't wanna wake up, everything is fucked, everybody sucks, or perhaps it's all about the "he says, she says" bullshit?

Boy, do I know how that feels!!!

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    @timmypix gets it. The man is insanely talented. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2412
    Jetfire said:
    @timmypix gets it. The man is insanely talented. 
    Why thank you!

Oh, wait...
    Tim
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Joe Branton is an idiot.

Just wait until I do my solo podcast where I drink healthy smoothies and slag off Joe Branton's stupid face.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2333
    VJIves said:
    You and me both. The only good thing from nu-metal, and it was just the fact they ended up in that era, is Deftones. I also don't really like this new obsession with playing as low as possible on 8 string guitars that sound like a bass. Meshuggah smashed it years ago. Give me Mastodon and Alice in Chains. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think Joe Branton is trying to come off as a sort of Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear sort of person. It's pretty harmless though and is funny when everyone else is trying to argue with him and he just doesn't accept anything. 
    Can't argue with that tbf!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14571
    I know nothing of Joe Branton or any of the other bloggers, vloggers or joggers mentioned above. 

These video presentations are the Interweb equivalent of opinion columns in newspapers and periodic magazines. If the presenter or author opens with, "hello, folks. I am about to ramble and rant for enough minutes to occupy the available time slot (or column inches)," you cannot complain if that is precisely what he or she proceeds to do.

It is often said that opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I know nothing of Joe Branton or any of the other bloggers, vloggers or joggers mentioned above. 

These video presentations are the Interweb equivalent of opinion columns in newspapers and periodic magazines. If the presenter or author opens with, "hello, folks. I am about to ramble and rant for enough minutes to occupy the available time slot (or column inches)," you cannot complain if that is precisely what he or she proceeds to do.

It is often said that opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one. 
    I can confirm, Joe Branton is definitely not a jogger.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    VJIves said:
    You and me both. The only good thing from nu-metal, and it was just the fact they ended up in that era, is Deftones. I also don't really like this new obsession with playing as low as possible on 8 string guitars that sound like a bass.
    With you all the way on this. The only reason Steph from Deftones moved to a 7 string is because he wanted to cover different sonic ground after Chino started playing a 6 string regularly.
    I thought a lot of nu metal was a refreahing break from axle and metallica droning on and on.