Going to the cinema, alone

What's Hot
schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
edited June 2019 in Off Topic
Does anyone else like to go to the cinema alone? I have people I can go with, but being an aspie I like to spend a lot of time by myself. I realise there’s a bit of a stigma attached to this, especially at the cinema where it’s seen as slightly creepy. But it’s not like I sit in the back corner watching Peter Rabbit and the like, with a sweaty complexion and one hand down my trousers. It’s just nice to escape for a while and watch films that none my friends or family would be into. I’ll often get a screening room to myself if I go late on a work day 
Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2923
    Many years ago I used to go regularly on my own.  Combination of having art-house taste and no one to go with + plus pre internet/Netfix, usually years before any other access.  Now if I see a film I like but no one else is that bothered about I know it will be available onSky/Netfix within 6-8 month so will wait.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7886
    I go by myself about twice a year, usually when my wife is in the USA. 
    I love Mrs Marlin, but she bloody irritating to watch a move with. She can watch the same movie as me, but insists on asking me a million questions about what we’re seeing. She’s very distracting

Same with some of the kids. I took my nephew to see Endgame, worse than my wife. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7775
    On occasion yeah, but not recently, given a big tv at home. I have been to watch a gig by myself in the last year though; Lisa Hannigan & chamber orchestra. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    Yes quite happy to if no one else wants to see the same film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27115
    I used to think it was weird until I did it. Now I realise if there’s a movie I want to see on the big screen and no one who wants to come then I’d rather go alone than not at all. 

It’s great - no one talk to you or steals your snacks!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Not weird. Cinemas are anti-social - you sit in a dark room, not talking to each other, watching a film. Seems a waste to spend it with people!

I go alone - not often, because it's very expensive, and I go with friends. But I still don't find it sociable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I go on my own loads. Nothing weird about it at all. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I’ve given up going to the cinema, alone or otherwise. Add the expense of the tickets and the rip off prices for snacks to the idiots who can’t sit still, not talk, eat noisily or play with their mobiles and to me it’s hell on Earth. I’ve only seen one film at the flicks in the last three years I think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    I go on my own loads. Nothing weird about it at all. 
    Yes me as well.

If you go when its quiet you see lots of other people doing the same.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    boogieman said:
    I’ve given up going to the cinema, alone or otherwise. Add the expense of the tickets and the rip off prices for snacks to the idiots who can’t sit still, not talk, eat noisily or play with their mobiles and to me it’s hell on Earth. I’ve only seen one film at the flicks in the last three years I think. 
    This, sadly. The behaviour at our local cinema for any half popular film is horrendous. If I’m desperate to go I wait right until it’s about to stop being shown in the hope that it’s less full of morons than usual 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Yep.  I used to go regularly on my own.  

I get plenty of days off during the week so I’d often go to an 11am showing of whatever Mark Kermode had recommended on his radio show, that week. Usually had the place to myself....just me and a dart player sized bag of malteasers.  Not been for a while, due to being busy and there not being too many films that I’ve actually wanted to see. 

Ive been to plenty of gigs on my own, too. 
  • david1050david1050 Frets: 2
    Does anyone else like to go to the cinema alone? I have people I can go with, but being an aspie I like to spend a lot of time by myself. I realise there’s a bit of a stigma attached to this, especially at the cinema where it’s seen as slightly creepy. But it’s not like I sit in the back corner watching Peter Rabbit and the like, with a sweaty complexion and one hand down my trousers. It’s just nice to escape for a while and watch films that none my friends or family would be into. I’ll often get a screening room to myself if I go late on a work day 
    Watching cinema alone is better enjoyable.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I used to have a midweek day off from work, and I’d usually wait til a film had run its course and everyone had seen it, before rocking up with a big coffee and have the whole screen to myself. I’d usually sit right at the back in the middle....Bliss :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    BRISTOL86 said:
    boogieman said:
    This, sadly. The behaviour at our local cinema for any half popular film is horrendous. If I’m desperate to go I wait right until it’s about to stop being shown in the hope that it’s less full of morons than usual 
    I’m struggling to remember the last time I went, other people’s behaviour and the cost are very off putting. I have been to the cinema by myself but if anything that’s likely to make me more wound up by other people. 

Has 3D died yet? Wearing glasses over my glasses for two hours wasn’t that much fun either. 

[possibly Logan in 2017]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    BRISTOL86 said:
    boogieman said:
    I try to sound genuinely scary when I tell people to shut the f**k up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Has 3D died yet? Wearing glasses over my glasses for two hours wasn’t that much fun either. 

In new TVs for the home it has, it's still struggling on life support in the cinema.

They will always push new technologies like IMAX and 4DX, but they don't last forever.

The biggest change in recent years is the switch to digital projection.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    I do it a couple of times a month.  I live 5mins drive away from the cinema so I leave when the trailers starts, get in just as it ends, sits down and watch.  I could almost roll up in my PJs.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4143
    Always been happy to go to the cinema alone. And these days still do - there are plenty of films my wife doesn't want to see. And as I am self employed I can go during the day when she's at work.

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    makes sense to me, when I watch I want to be immersed not hear a commentary or answer questions. TV is same, I watch solo on my computer now. too much yapping and interruptions with the family.

it's not a social occasion, it's a chance to appreciate the art.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

In new TVs for the home it has, it's still struggling on life support in the cinema.

They will always push new technologies like IMAX and 4DX, but they don't last forever.

The biggest change in recent years is the switch to digital projection.
    I almost miss the problems of scratches and little warps, they told your brain you were at the cinema and now it's just watching a really big telly. 

I know I've moaned about 3D cinema before and the response was don't go but these were family occasions, it's not a personal choice I'd make more than once. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.