I just don't like changing guitar strings.

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Someone showed me ICBM's method at IGF years ago, and I sometimes try it. A problem I have it that, especially with the wound string, I find it very hard to get that loop back around tight to the capstan. There's usually a small gap. It doesn't look tidy, which annoys me, and I suspect it makes the tuning less stable. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    It's an excellent method, until I try to use it on the sparkly tanglewood in my avatar.

Which has both split head tuners, and a fake bigsby.

Combine that with 4 cats and a dog trying to help me and it can take all fucking night just to get one string to stay on.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Just to add, I used it on a crappy 96 Taiwanese strat copy with the original trem (and a lot of WD40) last week, and did divebombs all night at a gig without any tuning problems (the top E popped out of the nut 3 times, but that was not the stringing method's fault)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited June 2019
    I stick it in the hole, put the end over and under (so it tightens on to itself) then tune. Really quick and easy. Never had any problems. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Just finished changing the strings on my Anderson.  It has Anderson branded locking tuners [old style] and it is a right PITA removing the old strings and fitting the new ones.  To do it the 'right' way, you need three hands - one to pull the string tight and hold it that way, another to turn the tuner knob and the third to operate the screwdriver to allow the tuner knob to lock the string.  Next time I will get a guitar tech in Dublin to do it for me.

The process is so frustrating that I will email Tom Anderson to see if the newer locking tuners are any easier to operate.  If they are, I will seriously consider changing to the newer locking tuners.  Life is too short to fuck around with fiddly guitar re-stringing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Rocker said:
    Just finished changing the strings on my Anderson.  It has Anderson branded locking tuners [old style] and it is a right PITA removing the old strings and fitting the new ones.  To do it the 'right' way, you need three hands - one to pull the string tight and hold it that way, another to turn the tuner knob and the third to operate the screwdriver to allow the tuner knob to lock the string.  Next time I will get a guitar tech in Dublin to do it for me.

The process is so frustrating that I will email Tom Anderson to see if the newer locking tuners are any easier to operate.  If they are, I will seriously consider changing to the newer locking tuners.  Life is too short to fuck around with fiddly guitar re-stringing.
    Locking tuners from other brands are much easier - that's the benefit, easy string changing.