The Most You'd Spend on a Guitar?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Well it was £1.5K... Now £3.7K... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    I don't really care; if I like it and have the money then I'll get it. My last two have been over £2k; the first of those has been played for (rough average) two hours every day since I got it, so I think it's paid for itself now. I've always said I'd never be bothered about vintage guitars either, but now I guess you can almost consider the old pointy stuff from the 80s vintage, so that may happen in the future...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    edited June 2019
    The most I've paid was for the 1961 Strat (7.5k- and a relative bargain), followed by my 1963 Vibroverb (7k) and the 1966 Custom Tele I sold back to Crane (6500- it's on sale at Motopoint for a lot more right now.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    It's all relative. If I had more money, I'd spend on something that I thought was "worth it". For instance, if I was considerably richer than I am, I'd spend 8k on a pre cbs strat for sure. As it stands, I doubt I'll be buying any guitars for a while, but I think my limit for any future guitars would be around the £1500 mark.

There's only two guitars left that I want to own at some point: a japanese squier strat (so £3-400), and a Les Paul Custom, which will probably be above my threshold.
  • Once I've owned a MusicMan Mr Horsepower I'll be happy.
    Possibly...
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    The most I have spent on a guitar was just shy of £2,500 (CS Strat). How much I would spend is a different thing altogether.

My real-life maximum guitar spend has risen step-wise (not steadily by any means) over the years. My first decent guitar (1985 MIJ Squier Tele, which I still own) cost £175 in 1987, but I got it on credit at £10 a month over 2 years as I simply didn't have £175 in 1987. In the 90s, £500 was about my limit, until the day I fell in love with an AVRI Strat and parted with nearly £1,000 for it. The next jump was to to £2,250 for a CS LP, of which £1,000 came from an inheritance. Since then I have generally paid between £1,000 and £2,000 for a guitar or bass.

As to what I would spend: A couple of years ago I tried a 60s SG Special in Manson's, and it was utterly fantastic. It was a 1964 at £6,800 (or possibly a 1968 at £6,400), but even if I had chopped in the CS LP and a PRS I would still have come up well short. Had I had the money, I would have bought it, but I hadn't, so I didn't.

And there's the rub - this question has two answers:
    (1) £2,500;
    (2) No limit, if I had the money a the time and the instrument spoke to me.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    Keefy said:
    A couple of years ago I tried a 60s SG Special in Manson's, and it was utterly fantastic. It was a 1964 at £6,800 (or possibly a 1968 at £6,400), but even if I had chopped in the CS LP and a PRS I would still have come up well short. Had I had the money, I would have bought it, but I hadn't, so I didn't.

Fucking hell, I had a 1964 SG Special and I sold it for £950.  :(
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    Philly_Q said:
    Keefy said:
    A couple of years ago I tried a 60s SG Special in Manson's, and it was utterly fantastic. It was a 1964 at £6,800 (or possibly a 1968 at £6,400), but even if I had chopped in the CS LP and a PRS I would still have come up well short. Had I had the money, I would have bought it, but I hadn't, so I didn't.

Fucking hell, I had a 1964 SG Special and I sold it for £950.  :(
    D'oh!
  • Most I’ve spent is £2499 on the 2017 R8 deals and that was the most I’ve ever spent with £1200 being my max before the R8

I did have a preorder for a £4399 Joe Perry gold rush CS. However I had a serious word with myself as to how ridiculous that amount was for a guitar that really isn’t worth that.

Preorder cancelled!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3662

Max that I have spent on one guitar was, from memory, £2,600.  That was about 5 or 6 years ago so about £3k in today's money.  I've then spent, again in today's money, >£1k on 6 others.  I still own all but 2 of them.

As a % of income what I spent on a second hand Rickenbacker bass in the early 80s is equivalent to >£9k out of today's salary.

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3764
    soma1975 said:
    I can't remember who it was on here that agreed to get married saying if his wife got an engagement ring he could have a guitar of equal value... 

Anyway I have copied that and my GF has agreed. Now to save a shitload. I'm thinking custom shop 335 reissue so that much. 
    Based on that, I could get a secondhand Squier. At best.

I’ve spent over £3k on second had PRS’. I paid nearly £3k for a custom build. I’d spend more if the cash was around for something special. But I’d probably sell it, as I usually do!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    I think the most I've paid was about £800 for a Rickenbacker 330. At the time it was more than I paid for more car (priorities!).

Thing is, I feel too precious about it and hate to gig with it, worried it'll get damaged or stolen. 

Though I've set myself a vague limit of a grand, though prices have started to creep up of late. I bought and sold a CIJ jag for about £350 only a few years ago and now people are asking nearer £900.

These days I could afford a second-hand Gibbo 335 but, as has been said, the increase in quality/enjoyment probably does start to taper off. 

At the end of the day I have separate the price/quality of the instrument from the quality of the playing and the music I'm making. It's only a small exaggeration to say if you're not going to sound good with an epiphone dot, you're not going to sound good with a custom shop Gibbo 335.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    The most I’ve spent is £1950 on a 1964 Jaguar (refin) about 7 years ago. I’m sure it’s worth £500 or so more now.  I will be spending significantly more than that for a ‘special’ birthday in 2.5 years time though - I’ve started saving already. Looking at vintage Strat/Tele/335/Gretsch probably. 

Moving up the Tele curve from a MIM to Am STD to AV64 was instructive - the Am STD was good, but the £1300 for the AV64 is money REALLY well spent. I did sell a Rickenbacker 330 for £1100 as a trade-up to get there. (Some regrets there, as it was a beautiful 2003 Blue Boy - lovely colour. Did anyone buy it from Wunjos about 4-5 years ago? ) 

In short the price point around £1K really works for me. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
     I only have one or occ two guitars at a time and I much prefer one good guitar to half a dozen average examples. Paid 2.5k+ for my 59 hollow body Gibson but I don’t think i’d pay anywhere near that for a new guitar. I’m okay with laying out if i’m convinced that I can recoup 80-90% of my investment if it’s needed and that won’t usually happen with new guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westfordwestford Frets: 581
    I think I'd be nervous playing a guitar I'd spent lots of money on. 
    My most expensive guitar is a Partscaster I invested £400 into. 

Maybe when my kids are older I might have more disposable income (& they'll be less "boisterous") THEN I'd consider buying an expensive guitar- I'd love a vintage LP Jr. 
    I’m in the same boat, my 2yr old likes to “help” me play and fiddle around with tuning pegs and amp settings, etc. £4-500 would be the most I’d spend on a guitar until he’s older (basically what I’d be willing to fork out for a replacement if he trashed it). Have always fancied an LP too.
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1379
    I've spent £4,000 each on a few custom shops with a few more to follow in that ball park. I'd happily spend £7-8k for the right guitar. Having said that I get just as much pleasure scoring a late 80's superstrat for £300-£400.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom