What Makes a Band Leader?

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Assuming a band that's just came together and there has never been an official financial leader (like one guy hiring/paying a wage to the rest), what role would make someone the leader of a band, if any?

Let's say in a hypothetical band one guy wrote the songs and played an accompanying instrument like bass, keys, rhythm guitar or even drums; a different guy was the lead singer and another different guy (who plays one of the non-lead instruments) organises rehearsals, books gigs etc. - which of those roles would likely make someone the leader of the band?

Is there perhaps another role or even just that any of the members could be the leader regardless of those roles?

Do bands even necessarily have to have a leader?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    What you’ve described is a team, with each member playing to his strengths. There can be a songwriter, a musical arranger, salesman, logistics manager, marketing manager, even a rehearsal manager. Some orchestras have secondary conductors whose role is to rehearsals. Obviously one person can, and often does, take on more than one role. Roles can also be taken by non playing members.

The one role not mentioned is the conciliator who helps avoid/resolve disputes and holds things together. According to Paul that’s what George did for the Beatles.

Bands don’t necessarily have one leader. Each member can lead in certain situations.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3672
    Any group, whether it's a band, a sports team, a business or a group of friends on a weekend break needs a leader to be successful.  Leadership is not about being the boss or the front man it's about pulling the team together, giving them focus, motivation and resolution of conflict.  You don't need authority to lead but you do need to have influence.

In a band the leader is not defined by either their musical role nor the off field activities (although leaders do take more responsibility so are more likely to pick up the activities that others are reluctant to undertake).  Different people can also take the lead under different circumstances / different times.

Here's a link to an article on leadership qualities plucked at random (there is masses of stuff out there on this subject, they all say pretty much the same thing).  At first sight it relates to business - it applies equally to a band;

So in answer to your question.  Yes, a band needs a leader and it could be any one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Not being an arsehole.

Being willing to take the reins if nobody else wants to.

Being able encourage and push people without bullying.

Being able to make decisions.

Learning from mistakes.

Not being an arsehole.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12421
    A good example band leadership is  Frank Zappa, pay them well, run a tight ship, no getting fucked up before a gig and don’t be afraid to hire and fire. Considering his reputation for being a taskmaster, I have yet to hear a past band member badmouth him, in fact quite the opposite.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

There's no specific role that should make somebody leader, but if somebody is going to take the lead they need to be outgoing, positive and be in control of their inner chimp.
    Bands can be challenging arrangements with late nights and tired fatigued people.  Somebody who is overly emotional and can’t check themselves before responding may rub people up the wrong way and cause tensions.   They need to be calm, confident, measured and be able make their point well.

So personality should be the deciding factor, but unfortunately ego often is.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9736
    edited June 2019
    A good example band leadership is  Frank Zappa, pay them well, run a tight ship, no getting fucked up before a gig and don’t be afraid to hire and fire. Considering his reputation for being a taskmaster, I have yet to hear a past band member badmouth him, in fact quite the opposite.
    John Mayall is another one in this mould. Another quality common to both Zappa and Mayall was the ability to talent spot. Both often recruited relative newcomers and unknowns who went on to greater things.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    cream rises to the top... simple as
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Do bands even necessarily have to have a leader?
    Yes, absolutely and the formula for a successful band leader is 10% councillor : 90% Hitler. 
    How very rock and roll
  • The leader is the guy who does the most work. That's it.

Bye!

• midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    Interesting thread - it's taken me 30 years to work out that the "team" has to be right to make things work in harmony....the only time this has worked without there being a team ethic is when there is a shared "objective" , the best example being the need for "getting the money"  at the end of the night
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    By all accounts Howlin' Wolf was a great guy to work for. He paid well and even offered health insurance benefits. He ran it all as a serious business.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7548
    I think @Roland is right about it being a team.

but also, different teams work in different ways. In some settings there being someone who gets shit done and shoves things among is a benefit, in others the need is for a mediator or supportive type.

Ultimately  though a leader is someone that people choose to follow. And by that definition a fair few folk who call themselves leaders, aren’t. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    A leader needs the rest of the band to notionally agree. If someone doesn't want to be lead by that person, they won't be.
    Organisation is a big part of running a band, but it is possible to delegate areas of responsibility to other band members who may be better songwriters/arrangers, have access to the rehearsal space, own most of the PA and a van etc.
    If someone is good at a task or particularly well placed to accomplish it, the leader will be able to 'allow' them to do so.
    Team work is the key, otherwise you end up with the Chuck Berry/James Brown type who rule with a rod of iron.

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I tend to have guitars in pairs, but this is my most obvious contribution:

My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3672
    ESBlonde said:
    A leader needs the rest of the band to notionally agree. If someone doesn't want to be lead by that person, they won't be.
    Organisation is a big part of running a band, but it is possible to delegate areas of responsibility to other band members who may be better songwriters/arrangers, have access to the rehearsal space, own most of the PA and a van etc.
    If someone is good at a task or particularly well placed to accomplish it, the leader will be able to 'allow' them to do so.
    Team work is the key, otherwise you end up with the Chuck Berry/James Brown type who rule with a rod of iron.

I broadly agree.  Leadership is about delegation, not doing it all yourself.

The Chuck Berry / James Brown thing is a bit like working for somebody who owns the business.  It's their company, you work for them, you may or may not be allowed an opinion but ultimately you do as they say or you are out.

Most bands, especially those who aren't earning enough to make a living from it, are more like social clubs.  You are reliant on peoples goodwill so you have to build consensus, identify common goals, persuade and cajole.  It feels like a thankless task at times but then I spare a thought for the poor sods who run my son's football and cricket teams.  Maybe we need to add another trait necessary to be a good leader - glutton for punishment.

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    My mate, sadly not here any more, used to roadie for Hawkwind last century - he liked the band members a lot but said Dave Brock was a bastard, always telling every body what to do, on the case the whole time, stressed and stroppy. Must be essential with that lot!