Yamaha ERG 5 way switch replacement

Good morning folks.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for which wire goes where?
There are 3 white, 1 red and 1 black.
Photo of current wired one and new switch i want to use enclosed.
Thanks in advance !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    The easy one is the black - it goes to one of the terminals on the end of the metal cover.

The red goes to either terminal 4 or 5, it doesn't matter which - the switch is in two halves, terminals 1-4 and terminals 5-8. Choose one half to use and ignore the other half.

The tricky bit is working out which order the three white wires go in. What's certain is that the one that goes to the middle on the old switch will go to 2 or 7 depending on which centre terminal you chose. The other two will go to 1 and 3 or 6 and 8 - the easiest thing to do is connect them one way round, and if the switch then works backwards, swap them.

If that makes sense, there is also a better way, which is more complex...

Connect *both* of the switch halves in parallel. First connect terminals 4 and 5 together, then 1 to 6, 2 to 7 and 3 to 8 with extra wires. Then connect the pickup wiring as above. The reason for this is that by using both halves of the switch at the same time, you improve reliability and reduce switching noise.

Does that help?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    that is extremely helpful @ICBM ; - thanks for making the time and effort to help me with this.
    i think the previous owner kept it in a "cave" as it was in a right state when i got it - this should be the last thing i need to "fix" - (says hopefully)!