I can't go for that: Yacht Rock

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Funkfingers said: 
    Yacht Rock is an Internet meme, coined for the benefit of present day audiences rather than anyone who lived through the era when the music first appeared. 

Coke Rock might have been a better catchall term. If nothing else, it would distinguish the West Coast acts from the East Coast and Mid-West heroin and amphetamine-fuelled lot.

Ultimately, a good song is a good song.

Mark Ronson ... his step father
    Now, there is a worthy subject for a two-hour documentary.
    'So Mark how did you become a successful producer?'

'Hard work, determination. Having a millionaire rock star as a parent had nothing to do with it.'
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    In fairness to Mark Ronson, he is really good at it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    Funkfingers said: 
    Yacht Rock is an Internet meme, coined for the benefit of present day audiences rather than anyone who lived through the era when the music first appeared. 

Coke Rock might have been a better catchall term. If nothing else, it would distinguish the West Coast acts from the East Coast and Mid-West heroin and amphetamine-fuelled lot.

Ultimately, a good song is a good song.

Mark Ronson ... his step father
    Now, there is a worthy subject for a two-hour documentary.
    'So Mark how did you become a successful producer?'

'Hard work, determination. Having a millionaire rock star as a parent had nothing to do with it.'
    Unfortunately in the past 20 or 30 years rock/pop has become like any of the more traditional branches of the arts where you have much more chance of a career if your parents are rich and connected, and you went to the right schools etc.

The sixties, when it was dominated by working and lower middle class kids are a distant memory.  I guess that's not true of sub genres like grime etc, but I'm too long in the tooth to know much about that stuff.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1962
    I watched it and enjoyed most of it. In truth they had enough material for 1.5 shows but padded out the second with too many revisits to the first. Pretty sure the "Journalist / Critic / Commentator" who first coined the Yacht Rock phrase fearured in the show? 

I'm still none the wiser as to what separates "Yacht" from more generic "AOR" and why Toto and REO Speedwagon" were in but Journey were out? In my view, Journey had some of the most highly polished Chromium plated rock of the early 80s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    exocet said:
    I watched it and enjoyed most of it. In truth they had enough material for 1.5 shows but padded out the second with too many revisits to the first. Pretty sure the "Journalist / Critic / Commentator" who first coined the Yacht Rock phrase fearured in the show? 

I'm still none the wiser as to what separates "Yacht" from more generic "AOR" and why Toto and REO Speedwagon" were in but Journey were out? In my view, Journey had some of the most highly polished Chromium plated rock of the early 80s.
    I’ve watched part deux now and it revisits some of the same material plus meandering off into Michael Jackson and wether 80s RnB is an extension of yacht rock. And Katie Puckrik explaining her punk credentials just in case we thought she was all about the fluffy. 
    I enjoyed the first part a lot more, just seemed to have lost it’s way in the second.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    I watched part two yesterday, as others have said not as good as the first episode. It is still AOR to me. Really not sure where Jeffery Osbourne fitted in, the newer band with silver fox In i quite liked in a Doobie bros kinda way.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    exocet said:
    I'm still none the wiser as to what separates "Yacht" from more generic "AOR" and why Toto and REO Speedwagon" were in but Journey were out? 
    Allow me to hazard a guess.

The term "yacht rock" was coined by a younger generation of music consumers to indicate a specific collection of late Seventies and early Eighties music that they had encountered on MTV. Journey did not get much airtime on MTV. Hence, they did not figure in the "category".
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    edited June 2019
    I had a crack through Yacht Rock 2.0 on Spotify but had to come away after 2 commutes. I love Luke et al but that production style got pretty sickly - no wonder we were so receptive to punk, new wave and NWOBHM.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27135
    I keep clicking on this expecting a thread about the Kiss Kruise...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    I picked up this new band, Young Gun Silver Fox from the Yacht Rock (yukky term) two-parter and I'm loving their stuff.

If you like Steely Dan, The Doobies, Boz Scaggs and Hall & Oates, then this will be right up your boulevard!

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Kebabkid said:
    I picked up this new band, Young Gun Silver Fox from the Yacht Rock (yukky term) two-parter and I'm loving their stuff.

If you like Steely Dan, The Doobies, Boz Scaggs and Hall & Oates, then this will be right up your boulevard!

Nice! Can even hear hints of Todd Rundgren in this. Thanks for posting.  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Oh man, that’s killer...really appreciate the heads up
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    Either listen to the album or what's on YT. They can also carry it off live and have a London gig in November.