Ibanez MIJ vs Jackson MII

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
I know this is kind of unanswerable by anyone else  however I’ve decided to get a locking trem guitar strictly for messing around at home with metal stuff, EVH etc. just for fun. Essentially a toy but I’m lucky enough to have a decent budget.

Ive narrowed it down to an Indonesian made Jackson SL2Q with excellent hardware and Seymour pups (£900) VS an Ibanez RG prestige, MIJ (£1350).

Hardware spec is similar. The Jackson is neck thru rather than bolt on like the Ibanez. The Ibanez comes with a case, the Jackson doesn’t.

Both are miles away so it’s online order only, which I’m fine with. I already know I like the playability of both models.

Is it worth the extra dough for the prestige of an MIJ Ibanez with case? Is the QC likely to be £450 better on the Ibanez? I’m guessing the Ibanez might actually have a higher % depreciation if I come to sell it as I suspect they’d go for similar prices 2nd hand...Ibanez guitars don’t seem to hold their value that well. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    I you have any sort of preference regarding weight, ask the dealer for that info. I have an Alder body SL2 and it's quite heavy but the current mahogany body SL2s should be lighter.

Generally, I've always found Ibanez guitars to be lighter than the average for locking trem guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    mbe said:
    I you have any sort of preference regarding weight, ask the dealer for that info. I have an Alder body SL2 and it's quite heavy but the current mahogany body SL2s should be lighter.

Generally, I've always found Ibanez guitars to be lighter than the average for locking trem guitars. 
    I’m used to a 9lb R8 so, assuming both are under that, weight isn’t really a factor I’m considering.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    £900 would get you a 90s Japanese Professional Soloist or a USA SL2. Or you could get a noughties MIJ Soloist for £500, my 2008 SL3 has a Floyd Rose and SD HSS pickups.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Second hand Ibanez RG1550 or even an older 550 will run you around the £500 - £600 mark. 

Theyre hard are to beat at that price. The Japanese Jackson’s are ok but they’re not as good as the Japanese Ibanez’s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    At that budget, those aren’t the two I’d necessarily pick for a shortlist, but if your heart is set on those, I’d pick the Prestige, no question. Especially if it’s a model with DiMarzio’s. Edge Zero > Floyd Rose, for me. If the Prestige you’re looking at is the RG652, then it is unquestionably the best circa £1000 shreddy guitar around, IMO. Apparently the new crop of Schecter’s are really really good, but I’m yet to play one.

if it is the 652 you’re looking at, they have the skinniest necks ever, so make sure you’re cool with that. 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Stevepage said:
    Second hand Ibanez RG1550 or even an older 550 will run you around the £500 - £600 mark. 

Theyre hard are to beat at that price. The Japanese Jackson’s are ok but they’re not as good as the Japanese Ibanez’s
    Yup. I saw an RG550 reissue (MIJ Prestige series, proper Edge trem) go for £550 on eBay yesterday.

(I maaaay also have one in the personals, so I could be a bit biased, haha).
    JDE said:
    At that budget, those aren’t the two I’d necessarily pick for a shortlist, but if your heart is set on those, I’d pick the Prestige, no question. Especially if it’s a model with DiMarzio’s. Edge Zero > Floyd Rose, for me. If the Prestige you’re looking at is the RG652, then it is unquestionably the best circa £1000 shreddy guitar around, IMO. Apparently the new crop of Schecter’s are really really good, but I’m yet to play one.

if it is the 652 you’re looking at, they have the skinniest necks ever, so make sure you’re cool with that. 
    It is a 652 actually. Out of interest, what else would be on your list?
    If you’re looking at buying new only - The 652 definitely, also the Genesis. I would probably also look at the new Schecters - The Sun Valley and Reaper models tick a lot of my personal boxes on paper. 
    I would personally also look at used - Prestige Ibby bargains can easily be had. A Prestige Jem around £1100 isn’t unusual if you’re patient. I would also look at MIJ Charvels, maybe even MIA ones if the prices were good, MIJ/US Jacksons and obviously the Wolfgang models, too. If you’re patient yo

So many of these guitars are excellent, I would basically go on neck profile - I know I like the Super Wizard profile so Ibanez are a no-brainer for me. I have owned three 652’s and I regret selling all of them.   
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited June 2019
    My mint Indonesian SL2 was bought used off ebay for £400. It's a PT Wildwood manufactured one , before they went with Samick Indonesia, with 3-piece thru-neck no scarf joint, Alder body and SD JB/Jazz pickups.

I just weighed it...8.2 lbs.  o I swear it feels like 10 lbs. but it must be down to my declining health. 
    JDE said:
    If you’re looking at buying new only - The 652 definitely, also the Genesis. I would probably also look at the new Schecters - The Sun Valley and Reaper models tick a lot of my personal boxes on paper. 
    I would personally also look at used - Prestige Ibby bargains can easily be had. A Prestige Jem around £1100 isn’t unusual if you’re patient. I would also look at MIJ Charvels, maybe even MIA ones if the prices were good, MIJ/US Jacksons and obviously the Wolfgang models, too. If you’re patient yo

So many of these guitars are excellent, I would basically go on neck profile - I know I like the Super Wizard profile so Ibanez are a no-brainer for me. I have owned three 652’s and I regret selling all of them.   
    You’re right, we do seem spoiled for choice in this genre. Mabye I’ll prowl the used market for a bit before committing.

Dont think I could go schecter- just find the “hard ass metal” vibe they go for off putting.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    If you can, try a Palm Bay. I took a chance on a Cyclone PXR7 years ago because it was less than half price and in mint condition (apparently it had been photographed for the PB website). I have a couple of MIJ Ibanez guitars and the PB is easily as well built and sounds better.
    TINMAN82 said:

Dont think I could go schecter- just find the “hard ass metal” vibe they go for off putting.
    Yeah, I get that. Have you seen the Sun Valley series? A little more “here for a good time not a long time” than “we’re all gonna die” looks-wise.
    edited June 2019
    JDE said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Yeah, I get that. Have you seen the Sun Valley series? A little more “here for a good time not a long time” than “we’re all gonna die” looks-wise.
    Have spent a lot of time you tubing various models. I’m erring towards a Jem 7v-wh now (the MIJ one). Apart from being insanely cool and not overly death metal in appearance, it’s one Ibanez model that very much retains value in used market. Any thoughts on the Jem 7v?
    TINMAN82 said:
    Have spent a lot of time you tubing various models. I’m erring towards a Jem 7v-wh now (the MIJ one). Apart from being insanely cool and not overly death metal in appearance, it’s one Ibanez model that very much retains value in used market. Any thoughts on the Jem 7v?
    I’d love a Jem 7v - if I ever make a “big ticket” (for me) purchase again it’d probably be a Jem. I would wait until I found one with an ebony board, just because I prefer them over rosewood but that is absolute personal preference. The monkey grip etc doesn’t bother me. Wear a white t shirt and you can’t see it anyway ;)
    JDE said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    I’d love a Jem 7v - if I ever make a “big ticket” (for me) purchase again it’d probably be a Jem. I would wait until I found one with an ebony board, just because I prefer them over rosewood but that is absolute personal preference. The monkey grip etc doesn’t bother me. Wear a white t shirt and you can’t see it anyway ;)
    The sun valley schecter all seem to have 41.3mm nuts which puts me off. Otherwise they look decent for the money.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4202
    I haven't really got anything to add to this thread, but as a fan of superstrats I've been following with interest... and now I *really* want a Schecter Reaper! :D
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

TINMAN82 said:

The sun valley schecter all seem to have 41.3mm nuts which puts me off.
    Crikey, didn’t see that. I didn’t even know they made locking nuts with that narrow a width. Wonder why they’re so small? Not sure I could fit my fat fingers around that.
    Couldn’t resist, Jem7V (MIJ) incoming.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Congrats! Hope you get on well with it!
    JDE said:
    Congrats! Hope you get on well with it!
    Me too! 

I’ll post a NGD in due course. Thanks for the advice, sent me on an enjoyable research trip.

Have stuck mainly to the blues for several years now but it’s time to learn some of the shreddy stuff that got me interested in the guitar as a kid!