Which 335?

What's Hot
droflufdrofluf Frets: 3742
Purely hypothetically, because I don't need another guitar (burn the heretic!) and we're actually trying to declutter and downsize but if I were to get a 335 shaped guitar which would you go for?

In the red corner we have the Harley Benton HB-35 CH Vintage Series  https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hb35_ch_vintage_series.htm weighing in at £158.

In another red corner we have the Harley Benton HB-35 Plus https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hb_35plus_cherry.htm weighing in at £185.

And in yet another red corner (can you see what's going on?) we have the Ibanez Artcore AM53 https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-artcore-hollow-body-hh-srf?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_drRi-OB4wIV7rvtCh1_Ags7EAQYASABEgIfsfD_BwE weighing in at £247.

I like the look of the Ibanez better but that may be my inner brand snob talking and I think perhaps it will get a better second hand price over the Harley Benton. I'm also slightly biased against the Harley Benton after an electric mandolin that I had that needed a lot of work to make it playable but I know that others seem fairly happy with theirs.

So is the Ibanez worth the extra money? And is there anything else that I should consider? Budget is £250 maximum.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited June 2019
    Agnesi finds your lack of authenticity disturbing 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    I like ibanez but bought harley Benton changed pickups and tuners. Lovely guitar.  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3742
    terada said:
    Agnesi finds your lack of authenticity disturbing 
    Would he be happier if I repainted teh headstock so it looks like this?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Love the denial in the first line :) 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Bear in mind the Ibanez AM53 is a smaller body size, which either appeals or not, but they also do the AS53 which has the larger 335-ish size body, for about the same price.
    Megii said:
    Bear in mind the Ibanez AM53 is a smaller body size, which either appeals or not, but they also do the AS53 which has the larger 335-ish size body, for about the same price.
    Thanks - I thought I'd read that somewhere but then couldn't find where so I thought I was imagining it! Would probably prefer a smaller body
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited June 2019
    From those options- I’d go Ibanez Artcore (or second hand). 
    I had an ASF75t, it was great for everything from bluesy stuff to G’n’R style heavy rock. 
    My biggest criticism was the placement of the switch- right UNDER the bigsby arm, making it hard to access sometimes. 
    The Ibanez will also have stronger resale should you decide to move it on & is more likely to be playable “out of the box” (I have a HB tele & it took a bit of TLC to get it “right”). 

Another option to consider is is the Gretsch G2622 Streamliner, £369 new but should be within budget used- they’re rather nice. 
    Or an Epiphone Dot at £299- they pop up used regularly & seem a bargain. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    edited June 2019
    I had a Korean made Tokai 335 copy that was very good. Probably about 15 years ago but if you can find one second hand would be worth a look.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    For some reason I always found that the Epiphone Sheraton to be better than their Dot 335 model so I’d add that to your list
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    drofluf said:
    Megii said:
    Thanks - I thought I'd read that somewhere but then couldn't find where so I thought I was imagining it! Would probably prefer a smaller body
    Fair enough - against expectations I've found I really like the larger body size - I already have a 2010 AS103 model, but have been foolishly considering getting an AS53 as a spare/alternative.

Not sure what the stock pickups on the HB models are like, but on the Ibanez AM53/AS53 models, I believe the pickups are ceramic magnet types, which some find it necessary to change - perfectly useable, but perhaps not the best for warm/smooth/jazzy kind of tones. All the same, I'd tend to go with Ibanez myself, for reasons already mentioned, and build quality tends to be very clean and good. :)
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    sweepy said:
    For some reason I always found that the Epiphone Sheraton to be better than their Dot 335 model so I’d add that to your list
    im the opposite  =)
    Sheraton was far to heavy ..blingy..massive headstock , the dot just looks feels right and at least £150 cheaper s/h e.g sheratons £350 dots around £200 if you are patient
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    If you can get a Hondo H935 (there are several variations - make sure you get the one with the bound neck AND headstock) you'll be VERY pleased. Happy to advise you on a good one, I know them well.

Absolutely terifffic sound, beautiful to play. I loved the pickups on mine, I miss it. The maple neck makes all the difference, too. Recorded with it several times. Absolutely bulletproof construction.

Can be had for as little as £100 but you'll def get one for £150 and worth every single penny and more. Made in Korea in by Samick - the same place as the Epiphones of the same time (the 80s). Those go for a song due to internet hype, age and the name on the headstock.

Far better than anything you've listed in your OP, in my humble opinion.

One thing to be wary of is that you'll want to make sure the truss rod still works. I've known of a couple where they stuck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18964
    ^ +1 for Revival H935's. I liked the first one so much, I got another.
    Apart from the tomato soup burst dividing some opinions, they are a very well made guitar.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2230539/#Comment_2230539
    (down towards the lower/middle end of the thread)

• simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    edited June 2019
    ^ +1 for Revival H935's. I liked the first one so much, I got another.
    Apart from the tomato soup burst dividing some opinions, they are a very well made guitar.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2230539/#Comment_2230539
    (down towards the lower/middle end of the thread)

That's one of the ones I had, albeit it was "just" a Hondo, not a Revival (same guitar, different name and headstock shape). Absolutely brilliant. The non Revivals can be had in cherry and walnut, too.

Fun fact: Neil Hannon of the Divine Comedy has/had one.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18964
    Fun fact: Neil Hannon of the Divine Comedy has/had one.
    Then I'll die a happy man, the bloke is an absolute musical genius & wordsmith.
    Thanks everyone - lots of food for thought
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    What about the cort source ? I think it’s a full hollow 
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Peerless Hardtail for me at the price/quality trade-off. Finish is fantastic, electrics also don’t need changing.