Doc on 7 string acoustics: from Russia to Latin America

carloscarlos Frets: 3458
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLKpj-0_CEU&t=0s
Incredible guitar playing throughout of course.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    @carlos, ;

I never replied to another post of yours recommending another 7 string guitar, Yamandu Costa.  I really enjoyed listening to that guy.  

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/154618/he-makes-me-feel-like-i-never-played-before-nylon-string-latin-american-content#latest

His technical ability is some of the finest I've come across, for example bringing syncopation to picado, a serious wtf.  That technique is nightmarish impossible to play normally, forget syncopating it!  His technique's never just for show though, the swing and joy of the music is always at the fore front.  Back to technique he seems to have taken a lot of very complex flamenco phrasing/techniques and brought them to samba/bossa seemlessly.  

IMO, a shame nylon string guitarists seem to be overlooked here.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    @earwighoney ;
    If you like Yamandu you're going to like the video I posted in this thread...
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    Back to technique he seems to have taken a lot of very complex flamenco phrasing/techniques and brought them to samba/bossa seemlessly.  
    I'd say Yamandu is a fusion player since he brings so many different schools and traditions into his playing. I think the strongest is called choro. It's not samba, it's not bossa, not flamenco, not classical. It originated in Rio at the turn of the 19th century. It was itself a fusion of various influences between folk and classical music.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    carlos said:
    Back to technique he seems to have taken a lot of very complex flamenco phrasing/techniques and brought them to samba/bossa seemlessly.  
    I'd say Yamandu is a fusion player since he brings so many different schools and traditions into his playing. I think the strongest is called choro. It's not samba, it's not bossa, not flamenco, not classical. It originated in Rio at the turn of the 19th century. It was itself a fusion of various influences between folk and classical music.
    Interesting points.  IMO, it kind of reflects the melting point which of Brazil, a lot of things going on culturally (fascinating place)

The more of his playing I see the more I am not just amazed by his bombproof technique but the swing & feel to his play.  He's one of the rare guitarists that seems to have it all. 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Interesting coincidence - without knowing this thread was happening I've just in the last few days discovered Yamandu Costa on YouTube. Dayyyum. His duets with Bebe Kramer are a joy, too.