LP Junior - Locking Tuners

What's Hot
Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
Looking to swap out the tuners on my Les Paul Junior for locking ones, have been looking at Vanson, Gotoh, Hipshot ideally would like to utilise the exisiting screw holes if possible.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23070
    In relation to using the existing screw holes, what type of tuners does it have now?
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    It has Kluson white oval, like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153526562081
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14570
    edited June 2019
    Gotoh SD90 H.A.P.M. “Magnum Lock” is a direct retrofit. 

I have a set with the same small oval buttons, only metal rather than plastic. Nickel finish, front of headstock ferrule rather than hex bushing and washer.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    Great stuff cheers, I'll have a look, I'd also like to keep the small oval buttons but in metal.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited June 2019
    Gotoh SD90 H.A.P.M. “Magnum Lock” is a direct retrofit. 

I have a set with the same small oval buttons, only metal rather than plastic. Nickel finish, front of headstock ferrule rather than hex bushing and washer.
    Do they do the SD90 with the Height adjustable posts?
    if so, where can you get them?

I thought it was just the SD510 with height adjustable posts... which I can’t find either
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5071
    edited June 2019
    Out of interest, what’s wrong with the existing tuners? Juniors usually have pretty stable tuning in my experience.

Or maybe you’ve fitted a Floyd to yours! 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Out of interest, what’s wrong with the existing tuners? Juniors usually have pretty stable tuning in my experience.

Or maybe you’ve fitted a Floyd to yours! 
    Good question! It has no tuning issues but I was thinking of ease of string changing plus one of the tuners is bent! Works fine but is bent.

Tbh I have never used locking tuners but my old tutor swore by them and I feel like Im missing out !!!!!!
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2301
    I have a guitar with locking tuners and it's no quicker to string than any other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    Are you wrapping the strings around the post or just clamping and cutting?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I have yet to find the need for locking tuners to be honest with you. If you have no tuning issues then I'd not bother, even if you did have issues I'd be looking at the nut and how it's string before looking at locking tuners.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Locking tuners do make string changes a lot easier.  I wouldn't go to the bother of swapping out a decent set of normal tuners, but if I was speccing up a guitar, I would always go for locking tuners.