NGD (belated) Chinese Fender Mustang

FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
edited June 2019 in Guitar
Picked this up at the weekend, a third hand Chinese Modern Player Mustang in Honeyburst from 2013.

Nice little guitar, feels similar to the Japanese necks I've tried, chunkier than my MiM Strat but comfortable, dark rosewood fingerboard. The P90s are lovely, quite rich and articulate and on the bassy side. Like the original switching, nothing wrong with that. All looks well finished, frets and board edges are good, decent weight.

Had a bit of work to do to lift the vibrato bar as somebody had fixed it right down so that it actually trapped the low E for some reason, but thanks to ICBM's advice found the correct key and it's now sitting a free mm off the plate, stable with 10s and works nicely with the palm. 

The finish is thick and glossy, not really my thing. If I decide to keep it in the long term I'll definitely strip it and get it refinished. 

Overall very happy with it, a fun little Fender guitar well made for not much money. A new convert to the Mustang fan club - I'm not saying they are better than Jag's & JM's, but let's face it, they are 

Fender Modern Player Mustang 2013 https://imgur.com/gallery/5I7cp6x

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4162
    Nice! I completely forgot they’d made those, I can’t quite tell from the pic but is it a slab body like the vintage modified Squiers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Nice! I completely forgot they’d made those, I can’t quite tell from the pic but is it a slab body like the vintage modified Squiers?
    Yes, no body contours at all, not that they are needed on a Mustang anyway! From my research the body is apparently pine, and some were said to be very heavy. This one certainly has some density but it's not a heavy guitar. I've not weighted it myself but it was advertised as being 6lb 6oz which feels about right.

I think they only made them for a year or two?

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    That colour and pickguard are perfect!