Thinking of buying a Blues Junior....good choice, or alternatives?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Matt_McG said:
    Another nice small amp option is the Laney Lionheart. I guess, physically, they are bigger than the Blues Junior, but they sound really nice to me.
    The 5W combo about the same price as a Blues Jr new, to me the choice would be a bit of a no brainer for the OP's use.The digital reverb in the Lionheart is a bit pants but that's about the only negative in comparison.IMHO, YMMV,etc. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Lots of alternatives suggested, but I'd also check out the pro junior. Great little amp.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Lots of alternatives suggested, but I'd also check out the pro junior. Great little amp.
    The Yarasov is a better built, better quality Pro Jr.  it’s the smarter choice ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    If you already have a Helix and like it, you could buy yourself a nice looking 1x12 cab and a small power amp. Much better solution for home use IMO.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9554
    Interesting Blues Jr video mate 

• CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    For example, this with the horrible badge removed or this for many more pounds but a lovely badge that you could proudly leave on, either of which could be driven by this.  

Appreciate that's a completely different approach, but would mean not having to repair your Blues Jr all the time, much better sound and you also have the flexibility of having an extension cab kicking around should you ever need one and a relatively powerful and really good SS amp that you can electrocute @digitalscream with. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Good digression on GAS in the vid too

I had a Blues junior, tweed, Jensen C12N and I always thought it sounded fine
    ( was only using  single coils then)
    and to answer OP, it was stock and I wasn’t tempted to have it modded

The tube sockets were mounted onto the pcb in mine and I needed a repair when one failed.
    I guess try and avoid wiggling the tubes too much when you change them

I had it rebiased at Chandlers by Jesse and that was an eye opener to me, at what a difference that made. 

• riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Interesting thread - what do people think (especially in terms of reliability) of the Vox AC10 vs the Fender Pro Junior, out of the ten inch ones mentioned here? 
     I ask as a Blues Junior owner (the mark 4) who only plays at home volumes and uses THR/Vox Adio amps just as much as anything louder - I could probably therefore move the BJ on in favour of something smaller tbh.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Blackstar Artist 15 (not to be confused with the Artisan). 
    this - I bought one recently and its really nice amp,  and I don't tend to like blackstars that much. sounds great at low volumes
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Good digression on GAS in the vid too

I had a Blues junior, tweed, Jensen C12N and I always thought it sounded fine
    ( was only using  single coils then)
    and to answer OP, it was stock and I wasn’t tempted to have it modded

The tube sockets were mounted onto the pcb in mine and I needed a repair when one failed.
    I guess try and avoid wiggling the tubes too much when you change them

I had it rebiased at Chandlers by Jesse and that was an eye opener to me, at what a difference that made. 

The problem with the valve sockets on the PCB is due to a mistake in the layout, not due to the fact the valves are mounted on the PCB.

As we've seen so many BJs with a catastrophic short, I've design a replacement PCB to solve this (and other issues)

I did a post about this in Making and Modding, but for anyone who missed this here is a link to my blog post on this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to be offloading my Blues Jnr IV soon. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    Interesting thread - what do people think (especially in terms of reliability) of the Vox AC10 vs the Fender Pro Junior, out of the ten inch ones mentioned here? 
     I ask as a Blues Junior owner (the mark 4) who only plays at home volumes and uses THR/Vox Adio amps just as much as anything louder - I could probably therefore move the BJ on in favour of something smaller tbh.
    Don't know if you have tried the pro jr but does not sound as nice as the BJr to me, sounds like a box of angry wasps.  The yerasov equivalent sounds better.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    I think it's a real shame that it's such a recommended amp - must put lots of people off valve amps if it's their first. 

That so many discussions on it inlclude "yeah but you can just...<insert strong of modifications here> ... " is telling. Boxy, harsh, hard to control the volume - all things that aren't an issue with any number of other options. 

It may have already been said in the thread but if its larger size isn't a problem then a used Hot Rod Deluxe might be a better option if the Fender brand is part of the appeal. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
    I'm going to be offloading my Blues Jnr IV soon. 
    Yep, based on everything I’m reading...I’ll be giving it a miss too!
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited June 2019
    Guy who runs some local jam and open mics occasionally brings along an AC10. I can't comment on reliability, but it's certainly loud, projects well, and sounds great. I've only played through it once (with a Strat) and liked it. Another player the same evening played a Les Paul through it and it sounded immense.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
    Been looking into these Yerasov’s that people keep mentioning....seems like a lot of amp for not a lot of cash.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    Blues Junior III owner here chipping in a little late. Not a good choice. Had mine about six years, spent some money trying to improve it. Not a bad amp, but it is what it is and for £500 used you can get some amazing ones. For example the Princeton II that @BluesyDave has for sale in the classifieds
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    thomasw88 said:
    Blackstar Artist 15 (not to be confused with the Artisan). 
    this - I bought one recently and its really nice amp,  and I don't tend to like blackstars that much. sounds great at low volumes
    Yep, I'm loving mine too. Played at low volumes it's fantastic, still trying to get it to sit right at rehearsal/ gig levels, but just needs a bit of a concerted effort to do it I think
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I quite like my Blues Junior IV, but then my previous valve amp was a Bassbreaker 15 that gave me issues (despite Fender trying to help sort it) and which eventually I really tired of. The Junior instantly was a huge improvement but I'm slowly realising that there may be far better alternatives to consider. Wish I still had my old Peavey Bravo.....   
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1025
    Blues Jnr II owner here, still working after all these years, if it blows up then I will use my real amp :)
    “Ken sent me.”