Unpopular Opinion?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Joe can barely carry a tune in a carrier bag live, but yep I agree. One of the best bands I've ever seen live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    One of my favourite gigs was Metallica in 92 on the Black Album tour. I think they were at their live peak at this point. The stage set was excellent, as what the setlist, and they were still playing really tight. Jason was the real star of the show, his enthusiasm and bonhomie with the crowd really made the night.

Every time I see Metallica live performances since then they're sloppier and sloppier. I like sloppy it has it's place, I love Led Zeppelin wandering all over the beat, but for Metallica and songs like Creeping Death it sounds terrible. 

Not seen Def Leppard live, other than via TV, but have always been impressed. On a similar "putting on a great show" level I'd say Queensryche were really good on the Promised Land tour, really enjoyed that gig and its theatricality. 

My favourite gig is still Cathedral in 1995 in a sweaty little room at Manchester University, with a brilliant support band called Mourn. As close as someone my age was going to get to seeing very early Black Sabbath. 

Oh and Myke Gray's SKIN. They were absolutely fucking great. 
    Skin, yeah they were an awesome live band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    A few that have been mentioned. I was at the Queen Wembley gig (Quo were ace support). Saw Kings X at the Astoria, seen the Manics loads of times. Best festivals, Donington 87 and 88.  Judas Priest put on a great show. Love UFO. The Wildhearts have the tunes, energy and crowd to be my favourite live act of the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    SidNewton said:

Pearl Jam

Skunk Anansie

Rush

A mate of mine (who tours with a prominent 80s artist at massive venues so knows his onions) said Skunk Anansie was one of the best live sounds he's ever heard and was utterly blown away.
    I saw them when they had Muse as the opening act. Muse were poor, Skunk Anansie blew them away
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7839
    It doesnt matter if an opinion is unpopular. Its your opinion.

I've never seen the band, so its a moot point. 

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    Captain Beefheart by a country mile (whatever that is, I'm guessing a mile).
    Dr Feelgood came a close second (just over a mile).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Limp Biscuits far better. 
    Think that might be a joke but check this out, this looks like an amazing live show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5e8iPgvzRc
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23068
    I've only seen Def Leppard once, in 1987.  I can't remember if I thought they were particularly good or not.

The support band was Tesla.  I do remember that Tesla's headlining show at the Marquee a year or two later was definitely one of the best gigs I've ever been to.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Best live band ever? I’m not sure - on the one hand the drummer is excellent, but...

I’ll get me coat.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Sassafras said:

Yes, Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band, Spotlight Kid era, greatest live performance ever.
  • thegummy said:
    Limp Biscuits far better. 
    Think that might be a joke but check this out, this looks like an amazing live show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5e8iPgvzRc
    I saw them a couple years ago at Manchester Arena when they did their joint tour with Korn. I was more excited about seeing Korn as a flashback to my yoof, but ended up enjoying Limp Bizkit's set more, even though I didn't like them back in the day!

Mind you, Fred Durst had really piled on some beef since their hey-day - he looked a right state!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
    I think you remember different gigs for different reasons. I don't think I can pick a clear "best" 

I saw Queen at Wembley, which is an iconic gig. 

Pearl Jam in Leeds in '14, where they played 37 songs and were on stage for well over 3 hours with no support band. Phenomenal!

Extreme supported by Stone Temple Pilots at Wembley Arena was pretty much a dream lineup for me at the time. 

I was at that Pearl Jam gig. I sat next the most enthusiastic European man I've ever seen. Constantly standing up and screaming "YESSSSS!! GO EDDIE!!!"
    Well, for the first 5 songs. Then he stood up absolutely beaming, got his bag, said excuse me and walked out. Didn't come back.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176

SidNewton said:
    SidNewton said:

Pearl Jam

Skunk Anansie

Rush

A mate of mine (who tours with a prominent 80s artist at massive venues so knows his onions) said Skunk Anansie was one of the best live sounds he's ever heard and was utterly blown away.
    I saw them when they had Muse as the opening act. Muse were poor, Skunk Anansie blew them away
    Saw Skunk Anansie open for Chumbawumba and they were class then.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18966
    mbe said:
    Sassafras said:

Yes, Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band, Spotlight Kid era, greatest live performance ever.
    1972, April 5th, Newcastle City Hall. They were absolutely brilliant but I still don't have 'best ever' artist, just a best ever to date.