Which basses have...

SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
edited June 2019 in Bass
A 32"/33" scale?

I've tried 30" and 35", but I still prefer 34" over them, but is it mainly custom builds that are medium scale?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    The Ibanez Mezzo bass is 32".  It's cheap and cheerful, but it's actually pretty good.

I just got an 80's Japanese made Squier P Bass with a 32" scale.  The body is a bit smaller than a standard P, but it's a very good bass.  There were Japanese Fenders with 32" scales in the 80's as well.  Probably the same as my Squier but with the Fender name on.

Some of the other Japanese made basses of the early to mid 80's were 32" - that definitely includes some models from Ibanez, Aria, Westone, and Fernandes. I think Tokai and Greco made some medium scale basses as well.  They all made long scale basses, so you will need to check the model you are after.

A few days ago there was a medium scale 80's Ibanez on the classifieds on Basschat.  There is someone else on there who has a Fernandes that he's looking to sell.  I don't know if he's actually put it in the classifieds yet.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Rickenbackers are 33.25".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchman said:
    The Ibanez Mezzo bass is 32".  It's cheap and cheerful, but it's actually pretty good.

I just got an 80's Japanese made Squier P Bass with a 32" scale.  The body is a bit smaller than a standard P, but it's a very good bass.  There were Japanese Fenders with 32" scales in the 80's as well.  Probably the same as my Squier but with the Fender name on.

Some of the other Japanese made basses of the early to mid 80's were 32" - that definitely includes some models from Ibanez, Aria, Westone, and Fernandes. I think Tokai and Greco made some medium scale basses as well.  They all made long scale basses, so you will need to check the model you are after.

A few days ago there was a medium scale 80's Ibanez on the classifieds on Basschat.  There is someone else on there who has a Fernandes that he's looking to sell.  I don't know if he's actually put it in the classifieds yet.
    Hi there, folks. Crunchman let me know about this thread. I am the chap who has an MIJ Fernandes 32" P/J bass for sale on Basschat. I have moved from 34" scale to 30", stopping-off at 32" en route. I've decided 30" is right for me. As Crunchman says, 32" basses are rarer than 30" scales - don't really know why! Neck width is also a big consideration, I find. I can cope with 30" scale bass, as long as it has a wide-ish neck. 30", narrow neck is just too cramped for my hulking great paws. If anybody is interested in my 32" Fernandes, drop me a PM. Thanks, Steve
  • Oooh - forgot to mention; I find that the neck placement in relation to the body is important too. I have a 30" scale bass with a neck that's positioned quite far outboard. Placed next to my 32" scale bass, the nut ends up in more or less the same place relative to my fretting hand, with the bridge further inboard. If that makes sense...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Oooh - forgot to mention; I find that the neck placement in relation to the body is important too. I have a 30" scale bass with a neck that's positioned quite far outboard. Placed next to my 32" scale bass, the nut ends up in more or less the same place relative to my fretting hand, with the bridge further inboard. If that makes sense...
    Very. I find the most important thing is the position of the front strap button relative to the neck, since that mostly determines where the neck hangs relative to my arm. Around the 12th fret is ideal - which is why I can play a Jazz Bass much more easily than a Gibson EB even though the scale is 3.5" longer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited August 2019
    ICBM said:
    Click.

ICBM said:
    Click.

ICBM said:
    Click.

Bridgehouse must be on holiday.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.