Yesterday - The Beatles movie

What's Hot
ShrewsShrews Frets: 3086
Really enjoyed it. Directed by Danny Boyle and he's usually a sure bet to deliver.

Music was obviously great, storyline fun, even had some good talking points, especially.....

**SPOILER ALERT BELOW**

The bit where he goes to see John Lennon and finds that because The Beatles never existed John is living out his years by the seaside (not shot by Mark Chapman). He's had a good life, done all the things he wanted, loved his wife (who we assume is dead) and thinks the lead character is a complete nutcase as he knows nothing about writing the songs the lead character has penned.

Go see it, you'll have a good time, a definite feel-good movie.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11951
    edited June 2019
    I loved it, so much so when I got home last night from it I booked it to see it again first showing today.

I love movies of melancholy, this is just swimming in it, they picked most of the Beatles track that are most melancholic, In My Life, Let It Be etc, and I was so happy all the way through.

its a great Love Letter to the Beatles, and Ed Sheeran was pretty good. Actually made me want to listen to some of his music.

spoiler below

- there is a massive plot hole though.....as with all movies of this kind.

Oasis don’t exist....and in the original universe he sung Wonderwall when he was 14.

later on in the alternate universe he still reminisce about singing Wonderwall?! Eh?

i think they could fix that by making a small joke about him remembering playing Wonderwall whereas Ellie said “noooo what is Wonderwall?  it was Park Life, that bus really hit your head hard”.

or something to that effect. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7137
    the concept is essentially a rip-off of Goodnight Sweetheart though (yes the Nicholas Lyndhurst sitcom) hope Boyle gives credit where it's due...
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    tony99 said:
    the concept is essentially a rip-off of Goodnight Sweetheart though (yes the Nicholas Lyndhurst sitcom) hope Boyle gives credit where it's due...
    Yesterday is popping up all over my social media and I keep saying it’s bloody Goodnight Sweetheart. You are the only other person I’ve seen point it out. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    tony99 said:
    Not seen GNS but the description from google

“Nicholas Lyndhurst stars as Gary Sparrow in this time-travelling comedy series. Gary Sparrow lives in London with his wife during the 1990s, but after discovering a time portal he finds he can go back to the 1940s, to the same area, at the time of the Second World War. As he travels back and forth between the two periods, he meets another woman in the 1940s era and begins to lead a double life. Only his best friend Ron knows about Gary's dual existence, and he tries to help him along the way whenever the time traveller struggles between his two worlds.”

Yesterday -

does not not involve time travel.
    he does not go back and forth.
    no one else knows (to a point) and no one helps him.
    its not different time periods, this assumes simply The Beatles never existed.  More like he is in a different timeline all of the sudden.

It reads like they are two totally different ideas.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    In GNS he plays a Beatles song on piano in a pub during the blitz and everyone thinks he wrote it. 
    tony99 said:

“Nicholas Lyndhurst stars as Gary Sparrow in this time-travelling comedy series. Gary Sparrow lives in London with his wife during the 1990s, but after discovering a time portal he finds he can go back to the 1940s, to the same area, at the time of the Second World War. As he travels back and forth between the two periods, he meets another woman in the 1940s era and begins to lead a double life. Only his best friend Ron knows about Gary's dual existence, and he tries to help him along the way whenever the time traveller struggles between his two worlds.”

Yesterday -

its not different time periods, this assumes simply The Beatles never existed.  More like he is in a different timeline all of the sudden.

I say the concept, not the bloody screenplay

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    also, wasn't it the James Richards internet hoax, the parallel universe in which the beatles had never split up?

I'm sure Boyle took a bit of inspiration from that story (doubtless uncredited) before he thought, "hmmm how can I make this my own idea ? oh yeah, goodnight sweetheart"

jeez he's such a plagiarist
    Why are you blaming Boyle, he didn’t write the script.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    No worries mate, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I know Boyle, I know what he's like, I know who'll be getting the plaudits if it's popular.
    edited June 2019
    tony99 said:

I know Boyle, I know what he's like, I know who'll be getting the plaudits if it's popular.
    Like personally?

this isn’t like a Boyle movie, it’s very much a Richard Curtis movie.  It has a character plucked straight out of Nottinghill for example.
    tony99 said:

Like personally?

this isn’t like a Boyle movie, it’s very much a Richard Curtis movie.  It has a character plucked straight out of Nottinghill for example.
    Raymondo, I'm glad you enjoyed it, how's that
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    I liked it but i think Curtis is so predictable its untrue.   Ed Sheeran was great
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1981
    I think it's probably the most unimaginative plot I've ever heard of. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    In GNS he plays a Beatles song on piano in a pub during the blitz and everyone thinks he wrote it. 
    I’d say more than once although my memory of it isn’t that strong ( I probably only ever watched three episodes). The Beatles bit is a minor sub plot in GNS a variation of which seems to be the entire plot of Yesterday. 
    And if you wanted to watch GNS now you’d have to tune into the Yesterday channel. Res ipsa loquitur. 

https://i.imgur.com/jPx8HSa.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Yesterday -

You're flogging a dead horse. I agree with RaymondLin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1028
    I’d say more than once although my memory of it isn’t that strong ( I probably only ever watched three episodes). The Beatles bit is a minor sub plot in GNS a variation of which seems to be the entire plot of Yesterday. 
    And if you wanted to watch GNS now you’d have to tune into the Yesterday channel. Res ipsa loquitur. 

https://i.imgur.com/jPx8HSa.jpg
    You're right, it was more than once and did become a running gag in the show.
    fandango said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Yesterday -

Agree with him all you like but you'll be funding plagiarism, and God will judge you for it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Silly premise for a film tbh as the Beatles were not all about the songs and as much as I love Danny Boyle I'll pass
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    tony99 said:
    fandango said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Yesterday -

Agree with him all you like but you'll be funding plagiarism, and God will judge you for it.
    If you got proof, I am all for it, show us, but if you don't and want to keep going, you just look like you are another nut job on the internet.

On IMDB, Boyle isn't even listed under writing credits.  So all the more baffling why you blame him and not a single mention Richard Curtis or Jack Barth, it reads more like you have an axe to grind, and even some kind of jealousy since all your attention has been directed at Boyle.

p.s. God is the Devil, if he does exist, to watch all these innocent people die all over the world and let all the injustice takes place.  Save the judging, he need to judge himself for doing nothing when he has the power to do so.  Don't give me that God works in mysterious ways, if it's actually God's intention then Boyle's plagiarism is done on his watch, therefore he allowed it and supports it.  If he dislike it so much he would do something about it.

Right? 
    tony99 said:
    fandango said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Yesterday -

If you got proof, I am all for it, show us, but if you don't and want to keep going, you just look like you are another nut job on the internet.

On IMDB, Boyle isn't even listed under writing credits.  So all the more baffling why you blame him and not a single mention Richard Curtis or Jack Barth, it reads more like you have an axe to grind, and even some kind of jealousy since all your attention has been directed at Boyle.

p.s. God is the Devil, if he does exist, to watch all these innocent people die all over the world and let all the injustice takes place.  Save the judging, he need to judge himself for doing nothing when he has the power to do so.  Don't give me that God works in mysterious ways, if it's actually God's intention then Boyle's plagiarism is done on his watch, therefore he allowed it and supports it.  If he dislike it so much he would do something about it.

Right? 
    Well if Boyle can't give credit where it's due, why should I credit Curtis? Works both ways you see.

2 - 0