Improving a Squier Jaguar

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
edited June 2019 in Guitar
Recently I got a MIJ fender Stratocaster and the jag hasn’t been getting played much, but I’m down in England for a week so I took the jag. I think it’s a great guitar but just not on par with the fender. What could be done to improve it, both in sound and looks? I have the sunburst one.  I’m thinking on doing something to darken the fretboard, fitting  a new (better looking) tort pickguard and new pickups.   It already has a staytrem bridge which improved it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• On a more serious note, assuming it's a VM Jaguar- dulling the neck with some fine sandpaper made the one I had MUCH more playable. 
    They're nice wee guitars. 
  • Ive got a VM Squier jag, and ive done a few adjustments.

The stock SD pickups are’nt too bad, but you might want to upgrade them to suit your style.
    Sanding the neck smooth for better playability might be an option.
    A neck shim is usually one of the most important upgrades to do on these guitars aswell Imo.

Im also in the process of refinishing mine in Matte black, and have stained the neck a slightly darker amber with some tinted nitro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    One I had would really have benefited from having the fretboard edges rolled. And I shimmed the neck, which helped the action a lot. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
     A Mastery Bridge is essential 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    sweepy said:
    Don’t they cost about the same as a Squier? If you have the money for one,sell the Squier and save up for a used MIM classic player or CIJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    edited June 2019
    sweepy said:
    I have to disagree. Got an American Vintage bridge for a tenner. Worked perfectly fine, even with 10s, much to my surprise, though for the true Jag experience it's usually best with 11s. Never had trouble with stock bridges.

But if you spend your time trying to make your Jag like your Strat you're going to end up disappointed, Jags are very much their own thing.

I do agree that the stock tort is horrible, though!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    edited June 2019
    Even a MIJ bridge flops about like a drunken uncle, sure they are expensive but keep the old one and put it back when you sell it . One mod I thought about was a very thin brass shim to take up the sloppiness in the bridge post 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14569
    Big strings! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7160
    sweepy said:
    Again, I disagree with this statement.

You lose a lot of the traditional bridge tonal qualities and it no longer moves. You may prefer the non moving bridge, but it can detract from the character of a traditional Jaguar sound. 

You will get more sustain with a Mastery, but you cease to sound as close to the original offset tone.

I prefer the Staytrem bridge myself or a decent Mustang one at a push. 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    I have a Squier VM Jazzmaster.

The bridge swap to a Staytrem or at the very least anything else than the horrific thing it comes with is a must.

I love the sound of the pickups, large neck for a squier.

Still need to work on the action, bizarrely get buzz only on the 9th fret on the Low E!

But it's a great guitar for the money.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I had one and it stood up very well to all of the US models I've had since. They are great guitars stock and I would only ever make small changes, anything more and you may aswell trade for the next one up (I've got my eye on that new Vintera Jag :) ).

I oiled the board, swapped the bridge, added a shim and got a decent pickguard from WD Music. Job done.