Do I need an Ox Box from Universal Audio?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Oh and I also think the attenuator is pretty poor, it takes off too much high end, and even on its fullest setting it still attenuates a little, I avoid this bit, and forgive it for the bits it does so well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9555
    Bump
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Is there any value to using something like Ox with a Kemper?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Anyone ?spark240 said:

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    @spark240 ;

I thought the Oxbox was for reducing the volume at home, so you can get a cranked Marshall tone at acceptable home volume levels, so the neighbours don’t get upset.

With the Kemper you can get that 
    cranked Marshall tone at low volume levels. I might be totally wrong though?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    spark240 said:

I don't think so.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I, and many others of this parish, use a Torpedo Captor reactive load with no cabinet into interface (Focusrite in my case) and PC using Reaper as a DAW and impulse responses for cabinets.

An OX sounds grand for the job, but there are cheaper options that are just as effective.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Strymon Iridium has a Marshall model, and you can load different IRs to get the right era of speakers.  Would be a lot cheapr than an OX, and a lot simpler to record with.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9555
    So, recently, Ive tried the following;

- Strymon Iridium *
    - Two Notes Cab M
    - Neunaber Iconoclast *
    - UAD OX **

* Very good
    ** Outstanding

Now bear in mind it has to be fairly simple for me, or else I won't learnt it, and get the best out of it.

The OX, as expensive as it is, is just perfect for me.

No faffing around with IRs and a million cabs; it sounds incredible, and the UAD software is truly the best and most realistic sounding that I have heard and used.

Currently, Im running the OX into my 3rd Power Woolly Coats, and also into some iLouds (with just a hint of the UAD verb or delay or comp). It really does sound superb.
  • CalelCalel Frets: 31
    Just to build on the above - love the Ox, sounds great just out of the box (c’mon, bring them lols), super intuitive and really easy to tweak. 

My only complaints would be that 1) there is no EVM 12L IR cab sim (which two of my amps have sort of by default and got used to that sound) and 2) when digitally (SPDIF! - bless you) connected to your interface, the output is super low and only controllable through the master fader in the Ox App.

Nonetheless would also highly recommend - comes with a price tag but worth it imho for recording and silent amp playing.

Was also struggling with the Torpedo Cab M, requires a fair bit of tweaking to get good sounds out of it but downloaded by mistake the Wall of Sound software (thinking it was the Remote) and good surprise here.
    I am actually getting great results going direct / direct with a preamp pedal (milkman the amp or a revival drive) loading cabs in Logic through Wall of Sounds - you can create a stereo set up with two cabs (same or different) and it sounds really nice, not as nice as a real amp going through the Ox but close enough to dual track / overdub.
  • CalelCalel Frets: 31
    Just to add to the above - Two Notes upgraded the Cab M to M+ notably to include a clean pre-amp simulator. Getting very nice sounds for headphone / pedalboard-only practice. Lacks a bit of tube warmth (which the milkman amp lacks too in spite of a tube) but very cost efficient and portable amp-less sound system. Ox is still the Sausage Rolls Royce for silent tube amp recording though.
  • spir4Lspir4L Frets: 87
    Hi guys, waking up this not too old thread for a question: has anyone tried the combination Swart Night light (line out) + Mooer Radar? 
    There's this article on premier guitar (here) in which the Night light is plugged directly, I guess with the Radar the setup could benefit of the cab simulation and sound even better...