Early Joe Jackson

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
I know I'm a sad git slowly rediscovering the 70s and 80s but some of that early Joe Jackson work ( before he could afford a horn section) just seems sublime to me.

This is almost minimalist: simple guitar, killer bass, drums and vocal. Then when you think you've had all it has to offer that slightly whimsical piano solo comes in... 

...and this is loneliness wrapped in a classic 3 minute ( and a bit ) single

:'(  
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Some classic stuff. I remember being blown away by that first hit single Is she really going out with him. It was so different. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Oh, that piano sound in "Steppin' Out"... sublime!  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Steppin’ Out is just so atmospheric... it always takes me straight back to teenage summer nights in the early 80s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    Fools in Love is probably my favourite JJ tune and it always gets a play on Valentines day in our house.

I'll post a great video of I'm the Man - a great comment on consumerism. The lyrics are perfect.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5853
    I like that early Joe Jackson stuff and that era in general. It's kind of quirky that a band like Anthrax should aspire to do a cover of one of his tracks. It was almost like it was meant to be :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTIPCc1nKYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7iNHw8QoQ

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14236
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Steppin’ Out is just so atmospheric... it always takes me straight back to teenage summer nights in the early 80s.
    you are touch younger than me then - But yes a great track
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    I liked Sunday Papers - but went off him after that