NAGD

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
I'm in mid guitar reshuffling as missus munckee and I agreed (ahem) I would reduce from 3 electrics to 2 due to the amount of "guitar cr'p" we have in the house.  To make sure she knew who was boss I said I was getting a better acoustic as part of the deal.

I put my battered simon and patrick sp6 cedar on gumtree and sold it within an hour.  I figured the chap must have been a true connoisseur and realised what a great deal it was.  When he turned up I offered him the guitar to try and he said he couldn't play, it was a present, the first listing on gumtree and was on his way home from work....

So my shortlist was all solid, smaller than a dreadnought, cutaway and if possible sunburst.  I tried Martin dreadnought jr's and liked them, then close to me popped up a Guild OM140ce at a decent price.  Went to try it last night, chap had bought it in December last year brand new and is moving to 12 string.  

Soundwise it has the quality I was after easily a match for the Martin and sounds good plugged in with a bit of reverb etc.  Sounds like a compressor is on compared to my S&P, all the notes are the same volume and quieter acoustically but if you dig in its loud.

Very pleased, now onto the electric shuffling!
https://i.imgur.com/9tN1IvV.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    Nice sunburst. Happy NAGD : >
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    Handsome guitar - congratulations 
    Red ones are better. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    Thanks.  It currently has 13s on, if I drop to 12s or 11s would that mess with set up does anyone know?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    munckee said:
    Thanks.  It currently has 13s on, if I drop to 12s or 11s would that mess with set up does anyone know?
    It should be fine.  I've done it before and not really had any problems to think of. 

IMO, the MIC Guilds are some of the best guitars out there, they go under the radar.  I have an older series GAD 12 string, which is truly superb. 

What is the neck profile of yours like?  I'm thinking of picking up the all mahogany counterpart the OM-120. 
    The profile is a 16 inch radius with 1 3/4 nut, considering my preference is 7.25 radius I thought it would feel really weird but feels fine.  The seller said he had adjusted the action slightly but was good to start with.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    munckee said:
    The profile is a 16 inch radius with 1 3/4 nut, considering my preference is 7.25 radius I thought it would feel really weird but feels fine.  The seller said he had adjusted the action slightly but was good to start with.
    Sorry I meant what is the the thickness of the neck like?  

Generally acoustics more often than not have 16" radius fretboards.  A few have 12" (Eastman, Gibson, Guild USA) but I've found the radius of a acoustic fretboard is a bit different to an acoustic one. 
    munckee said:
    Sorry I meant what is the the thickness of the neck like?  

Generally acoustics more often than not have 16" radius fretboards.  A few have 12" (Eastman, Gibson, Guild USA) but I've found the radius of a acoustic fretboard is a bit different to an acoustic one. 
    It doesn't feel especially thick, wider at the nut than I'm used to but comfortable, my other guitars are a 7.25 tele, 9.5 strat and 12 335, the strat has a thinnish necks the other two are what I would describer as average and this is a tiny bit thicker.

Sorry that's not a great description!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5370
    Nice.

The trick is to tell them you're going to sell stuff before buying new stuff. Then buy the new stuff anyway. Because, er, bargain you couldn't afford to miss. Then discover that the old stuff just won't shift, which proves why you had to replace it, because no-one wants it anyway.

So far this appears to be quite a successful strategy. Although I really do need to shift the old pedalboard for my own benefit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Very nice!

Nice to see something other than a Martin or Gibson too! (And I say that as a Martin player)