New tuners for an Epi SGSpecial VE (perhaps)

What's Hot
Hi everyone

I've got a noob question regarding tuners.  Perhaps the hive mind can help me out here.

About 18 months or so ago I dived into the murky world of guitar ownership by buying an Epiphone SG-Special VE.  I got it from a local music superstore and included in the low, low price of £130 they did a full set-up.

The guitar has been fantastic.  Plays fine (when I let someone else play it, not so great when I try).  Stays in tune really well and I check tuning every time I pick it up..  Iv'e re-strung it about half a dozen times since I got it and had no problems with it.

With all that said there are obviously times where it needs to be tuned just a little.  This has started to become a real pain.  Initially I get movement of the tuning key with no corresponding tightening or loosening of the string.  When the string does move the change is often far too drastic so I end up oscillating between too sharp or too flat.

I've made the assumption that new tuners would fix these problems.  Obviously I don't want to go high-end and spend a fortune given the fact it's a cheap guitar so Grover is out of the question.  On the other hand I fear that I might lose the tuning stability I do have if I go too cheap and not actually solve the problem.

So first a sanity check that new tuners would actually make things better and then any recommendations?

I'm led to believe that Epiphone tuners have 6mm headstock holes not 10mm which means reaming out the holes which I'd rather not do.  So that would either limit the tuner choices or mean I need tech to do it which pushes the price up.  I'm not bothered about fixing screw holes being different as I don't mind that, I'm never selling the guitar anyway.

Any help appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14425
    Do the stock tuners have a screw at the tip of the buttons? If so, tightening the screws will firm up the tension inside the gear housings. 

Gotoh SD90 Kluson keystone replica tuners will retrofit the 6mm headstock holes. Unless you have the correct removal tool, it will be wiser to leave the stock ferrules in place. Just change the back portion of the tuners.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    They do indeed have a screw at the tip of the button so I'll give that a try when I get home.

Thanks for the help and the suggestion of tuners.

Much appreciated.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Well, that tip about tightening the screw at the top of the button worked a treat. 
    Thanks @Funkfingers ;