Live Band Recording (Fractal AX8 & Helix Content)

Here is a link to a band recording taken from a gig Saturday just gone. I'm using my AX8 in stereo, the other guitarist / lead singer is using a Helix in mono.

Audio recorded pre-fader (No EQ or processing) using the USB multi-track out on the Behringer into Laptop running Presonus Studio One.

All audio EQ'd and processed using Presonus Studio One by me the following day. Drums, vocals, bass all EQ'd.

My guitar through the AX8 has no post processing at all, I had to high pass the Helix guitar at 150hz to get rid of the mud. I believe the Helix preset was the 2204mod amp and cab at stock settings.

I was using Leon Todds MkII C++ preset tweaked for my taste.

There is an EQ on the master bus to brighten the overall mix. There is also a Room reverb on the master bus.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e25l5fvfbd2oupc/THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN _.mp3?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR0s-KeOPylaJxRIh1TmcDPl59yTc6JPe2Kes--PR3DYom4t5dk29eAdwJw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Sounds great, maybe the guitars were a little over gained for that song but otherwise really nice work. Better than our average live recording certainly :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited July 2019
    Sounds great, maybe the guitars were a little over gained for that song but otherwise really nice work. Better than our average live recording certainly
    I like gain   

We were going more for the Gary Moore live in Dublin vibe rather than the actual record.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Nice work

If I was being picky I would say snr is bit dry compared to guitars which sounds slightly wrong to me ...  too forward, was it all close snare mic of did you have some overs ? .... 
    Have you tried a bit of heavy master bus compression ? .... this tends to make it sound a lot more live. I always find my own live gig recordings are too sterile if I just use the close mics and not much overall compression. You kind of use a bit of fidelity but gain a bit of excitement which I think is more important for live recordings 

Nice to hear something other than a camera phone or Zoom H recording though

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Nice work

If I was being picky I would say snr is bit dry compared to guitars which sounds slightly wrong to me ...  too forward, was it all close snare mic of did you have some overs ? .... 
    Have you tried a bit of heavy master bus compression ? .... this tends to make it sound a lot more live. I always find my own live gig recordings are too sterile if I just use the close mics and not much overall compression. You kind of use a bit of fidelity but gain a bit of excitement which I think is more important for live recordings 

Nice to hear something other than a camera phone or Zoom H recording though

I normally do all that Danny when I have the time, this was literally done in 15 minutes so it’s sounds more raw, but I was kind of digging that. I Just used a bit of EQ here and there and compression an the vocals.

No overheads on the kit so it’s all close Mic’s.