tuning unison bends

bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
Hi all, been practising unison bends last couple of days on my strat with vintage style trem and realised for the first time just how out of tune they come out. When both strings are ringing at same pitch the note is significantly flat which i knew happens but never noticed just how much. a clip on tuner confirms it. Of course you could correct this by putting a little bend on the stationary string as well as the bent one but does anyone do this? Or does a bit of vibrato disguise the problem? Otherwise I'm thinking of blocking the trem off as I never use it anyway.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I had similar issues with keeping my strat in tune, so I blocked the trem off. Won't stop poor technique causing tune issues, but certainly helped to keep it in tune.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7013
    If you don’t use the trem just block it off (hey, it’s good enough for Clapton).  Other alternatives are:

1.  Adding more springs.  This won’t stop it entirely, but it will alleviate it somewhat.

2.  Set it up for dive only (no upbend on the trem)

3.  Install a Tremel-no and lock it for songs where you want to do unison bends

4.  Install a trem stabiliser.