Replacing electrics on an Epi Les Paul

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1763
I've a 1999 Epi LP Custom that desperately needs new electronics and i'd like to do the job myself.

I've a new set of pickups and am wanting to buy the other bits. 

Are there any pitfalls with purchasing a pre-wired loom and just soldering in the pickups? There's a number of looms on ebay for around £20-£30 which look like they'd do the job.

I'm at a novice level in respect of the soldering and have done pickup changes before so i'm confident i can do this.

Currently the volume pots are rather crackly and it sometimes cuts out so a full overhaul is probably rather overdue.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10891
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    20/30 quid will not get you a LP harness that has halfway reasonable pots. I will point out that I no longer make harnesses so I have no vested interest, but 'doing the job' is not the same as doing justice to the guitar with the electrics.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1763
    Thank you @OilCityPickups i shall take your advice on board there. 

It's a decent musical instrument so i think taking your expert (i mean that seriously) opinion on board i shall look to do the job properly.

Does anyone have any company recommendations for pre built harnesses?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    I seem to remember finding a company called East West Guitars who sell wiring looms for guitars.  Check them out at: https://www.eastwestguitars.com/index.html

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the company or no experience of dealing with them.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19199
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72845
    gubble said:

Are there any pitfalls with purchasing a pre-wired loom
    Yes - standard US 3/8" pots, which almost all decent-quality pre-made looms will use, won't fit because the holes are the far-east 8mm size. You'll either need to ream out the holes or buy a kit with far-east pots. (I think CTS do now make 8mm pots as well.)

Personally I feel that enlarging the holes to take the best pots available is the better option.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2927
    It's easy to drill out the holes and well worth it for some proper ones. Did that on my Epiphone LP Custom and the proper CTS ones feel so much better than the cheapo ones that come as standard.
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    It's easy to drill out the holes and well worth it for some proper ones. Did that on my Epiphone LP Custom and the proper CTS ones feel so much better than the cheapo ones that come as standard.
    Better to use a reamer than a drill ... a drill can split the top ... a reamer will cost you about a tenner.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4978
    CTS pots are about a fiver a pop, then there's the caps, the switch, and a Switchcraft jack socket.

Funnily enough, I'm in the process of re-wiring an Epi LP Special (white).
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    @sixstringsupplies makes excellent looms if you want to buy ready made
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4227
    Checkout axesrus they are very reasonable , I had wiring from there etc
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Fake58 do them but delivery time isn't the best.
    tFB Trader
    @sixstringsupplies makes excellent looms if you want to buy ready made
    This ...

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    if you do, don't take it to Andertons tech, he has to send off for the circuit diagram from Gibson USA and it takes them over 5 weeks to find one...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Professional quality pots, switches and jack sockets can make an enormous difference to the usability of an electric guitar.

Through overdriven valve amplification, it should be possible to clean up the sound just by rolling off the guitar volume control(s). 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thank you for all the advice guys - I've decided that for the sake of doing the job properly i'm going to take it to a local shop I've used before.
    That way i know it will cost a bit more but the job will be done properly and i'll no doubt get much more enjoyment out of the instrument.
    tFB Trader
    doing justice to the guitar with the electrics.
    Professional quality pots, switches and jack sockets can make an enormous difference to the usability of an electric guitar.

Through overdriven valve amplification, it should be possible to clean up the sound just by rolling off the guitar volume control(s). 
    I find it a little insane that customers will phone me up and order a £200 set of pickups for their guitar ... then tell me they have put a cheapo £30 wiring harness in. The first thing they should have spent their dosh on was getting the harness up to the best spec they can afford. To me it's like buying a Ferrari and putting cheap brand, second hand tyres on it!

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    @SteveRobinson @OilCityPickups thanks for the recommendations gents. It means a lot when professionals recommend your work.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    Dropped the guitar off at the shop yesterday and picked it back up today. The pots didn't need replacing (just a good clean), so it's been given a good going over and with the new pickups installed i can't wait to get it back home and play it all evening.