Rathbone Guitars

Was in shop yesterday having a gander at the acoustics. Came across a Rathbone. Established 1900 it stated on the headstock. I've never heard of them let alone played one I said to the assistant as he got it down for me to have a play on. 
Nice looking and sounding for the 20 mins or so I played it. Apparently Rathbone is Barnes and Mullins.  Dark wood hi gloss finish the one I tried. Not my usual preference....but might get it anyway.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_crungethe_crunge Frets: 35
    Was in shop yesterday having a gander at the acoustics. Came across a Rathbone. Established 1900 it stated on the headstock. I've never heard of them let alone played one I said to the assistant as he got it down for me to have a play on. 
    Nice looking and sounding for the 20 mins or so I played it. Apparently Rathbone is Barnes and Mullins.  Dark wood hi gloss finish the one I tried. Not my usual preference....but might get it anyway.
    Sounds interesting, wouldn't mind trying one myself. Where was the shop? I've never heard of them either...
  • StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
    edited July 2019
    Banks in York.
  • LukePalmerLukePalmer Frets: 29
    Ivor Mariants Is situated in Rathbone Place London, I don’t know if there’s a connection
  • KevinGreeneKevinGreene Frets: 0
    edited August 2019
    I took my brother-in-law to Matchetts in Belfast to have a look at some Taylor guitars and ended up buying a Rathbone No3 guitar. We were focusing on the Taylor 114 and the Martin 000X1AE, two lovely guitars, however, once we picked up the Rathbone... well... we could not believe the sound and the finish quality - all for £425 including a hard padded gig bag. What's not to like. The Rathbone held its own with the other two guitars - perhaps closer to the Taylor overall. The electrics may not be as good as the Taylor but the sound quality was on par, and at less than half the price! With a solid sitka spruce top and laminated rosewood back and sides [well I think the back is laminate??], with a rosewood fretboard and nice inlays, this guitar was a great find. The playability is really comfortable and smooth and the sustain is evident across the tonal range, for a guitar at this price point. I have to say - we were pleasantly surprised and I would fully recommend this guitar for strummers and finger/flat pickers alike. 
    No website as yet, which is odd... to launch the guitars without the site and detailed information is quite a strange thing to do?
  • Bought a lefty Rathbone No.3 acoustic a few weeks ago in Matchetts and I really like it. I had contacted Whitby Music shop, who were stocking these guitars, via Facebook. They had nothing but praise for this guitar brand re sound, workmanship and playability so decided to buy one. Called into Matchetts a few days ago and they now have Rathbone brochure in stock advertising their range. Spec quite good for this guitar.
  • My local shop stocks these.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for acoustic instruments, I must say that they’re really nice! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ChapmankChapmank Frets: 0
    edited June 2020
    I had been searching for a decent and good value guitar for my son. Which basically gave me the excuse to take a tour around the music shops. Guitarguitar often have some nice pre-owned acoustics and a couple caught my eye/ear, the Alvarez and Sigma ranges are pretty good, and I tried a cheaper end Taylor and Martin. But then I stumbled across rathbone guitars in MusicRoom and bought the Rathbone No.3 for £379 less a 10% discount. You can find the specs online but Englemann spruce top, bone nut. Etc. Very comfortable to play, strum of fingerpicking probably best described as an allrounder, Strings not too high so playable right up the neck, sounds fantastic for the £, I got them to add on a new set of d’addario strings.