I Sustainiac'ed my Charvel

What's Hot
xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
Don't know if this is going to be a nine day wonder or something I use forever, but it's making me grin today.

My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1741
    Absolutely love it!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'd love one of those in my Jackson.
    Maybe, one day.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Nice man!

I've often wanted to put one in a guitar I have but I hear a lot of people saying it's a real pain to install - is that what you found?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11655
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Nice man!

I've often wanted to put one in a guitar I have but I hear a lot of people saying it's a real pain to install - is that what you found?
    I have a useful cheatsheet 5CqG93l.jpg

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    thegummy said:
    Nice man!

I didn't do it myself but the tech said he didn't find it too bad. The cavity is incredibly full now though.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    Nice man!

I didn't do it myself but the tech said he didn't find it too bad. The cavity is incredibly full now though.
    Think I might get a professional to do it if I ever decide to go for it, as great as the image Feline shared, it does seem like it could get frustrating wiring it all up and even maybe trying to get it all in the cavity.

Where did they put your battery?

The reason I've considered it is because I have a 24 fret guitar and I hate the neck pickup because it's not far away enough from the bridge for my liking so I never play the guitar but if I put a sustainer in the neck position, it would take away the redundancy to some degree.
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    Nice man!

Think I might get a professional to do it if I ever decide to go for it, as great as the image Feline shared, it does seem like it could get frustrating wiring it all up and even maybe trying to get it all in the cavity.

Where did they put your battery?

The reason I've considered it is because I have a 24 fret guitar and I hate the neck pickup because it's not far away enough from the bridge for my liking so I never play the guitar but if I put a sustainer in the neck position, it would take away the redundancy to some degree.
    I got a separate battery box and they dug a hole for it. 

Sustainiacs are more effective the further the driver is from the pickup. You can get away with a 24 fret guitar, apparently, but no closer or you get squealing. I don't know if the performance is any better on a 22 fret guitar.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Love it
  • I got a separate battery box and they dug a hole for it. 

Sustainiacs are more effective the further the driver is from the pickup. You can get away with a 24 fret guitar, apparently, but no closer or you get squealing. I don't know if the performance is any better on a 22 fret guitar.
    Hide from X-Japan had a Sustainiac in the neck of most of his signature models & they were 24 fret Gibson scale length Mockingbird-esque, so no ill effects there it would seem.

Infact tangentially I was watching some early 90s footage & wondering if they'd be up your street, partly prompted by Toshi's hair back then & their loud visual aesthetic meets symphonic speed metal.