Gibson Custom Shop Value Increase?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4040
    I’ve bought new CS LPs for under £2k new, and £1,500 used so I could be laughing now if I’d not sold them on, but obviously those days are long gone, along with everything else that was good about my 20s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I am pretty sure that the following items are not collectable.

Gibson Historic
    Gibson CC models
    Vauxhall Corsa.

And remember...... I am a  huge Gibson fanboy.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I doubt it because they churn out loads. It’s not like a Rolex watch. Where the brand selectively starves the supply in order to increase residual value. 

If more tonewoods are banned then maybe. But that’s an awful reason to make a return, is it not? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10366
    There are pretty much no new guitars made today that will increase in value. Maybe the odd model, thing that will increase. But 99% will depreciate as soon as you get it out of the shop. 

Think of it like cars. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14550
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    In most cases, time is required for a new guitar to be sold for a higher price than what you paid for it - Look at prices 10/20/30 years ago and now look at today's prices and many 'classic' Fender and Gibson Guitars will be sold above their original value

Does this mean they are investment grade items that offer a return above inflation - Probably not - But is that the reason you brought the guitar in the first place - What return did you get back on your hi-fi, surround sound TV system etc etc

Granted we all have different expenses and incomes - Yet to buy a new R8 around 15 years ago for around £2000 equates to a cost price of around 35/40p a day - So buy it, enjoy it, then have the option of selling it, for at least what you paid for it - That is not a bad proposition

Buying a new or used R8 is far more interesting, to many, than leaving 2 or 3K in the building society - Then looking at the interest you received on that account each year

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    One (Gibson USA) exception might be limited run Slash Les Paul models. The vermilion/ rosso corsa models always seem to go for a song on eBay.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14550
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:
    One (Gibson USA) exception might be limited run Slash Les Paul models. The vermilion/ rosso corsa models always seem to go for a song on eBay.
    There will always be exceptions based on the 'hype' of the model - Especially on select artist models - Coupled with how many they made

The Jimmy Page Custom Shop models have gone through the roof - Especially the 25 'signed' models and the 150 'unsigned'  - Both aged by Tom Murphy

Some of the CC (Collectors Choice) models have done well, as have models like the Pearly Gates