‘83 “Dan Smith era” two knob Strat

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2248
edited July 2019 in Guitar
In searching for a replacement for a Classic series MIM Tele that I’ve kind of fallen out of favour with, looking around I’ve found a black 1983 US Strat with white pickguard from the Dan Smith era, but as far as I’ve heard this model isn’t a “proper” Dan Smith model as it has two knobs (volume and tone). Bit of a thin neck but still found it very comfortable to play and it sounds great, the pickups are articulate, very responsive playing into a Blues Jnr. Anything to watch out for with these in terms of build quality? Anyone owned this version?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KoaKoa Frets: 121
    If you like it go for it, you’re likely to get a few small c conservative naysayers along in a bit but really it’s down to how much you like it an how much it costs. I like the neck profile on these a lot, originality is key for me but they can sound good, a little heavy potentially but no Les Paul.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14617
    I had one.

The Freeflyte vibrato lacked feel or tuning stability. It was also almost impossible to block off properly. The top routed vibrato spring cavity required very little enlargement to accommodate a Kahler Pro flat mount vibrato. I upgraded to locking machineheads rather than a string clamp. Then, for better or worse, I traded the guitar to HarrySeven. As far as either of us knows, he still has it but might not know exactly where it is stored.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    That's not a Dan Smith - it's a USA Standard, 1st Version. It does come from the same era but it's not the same thing - make sure it isn't priced as if it is, since some sellers try that on...

They all have very thin, usually slightly v-shaped, necks. Unless it's the rarer hardtail version, the biggest problem with them is the Freeflyte vibrato bridge - it kills sustain and tone, and bits of it can break and are very hard to replace... except by finding another one that someone has already removed from a guitar! Due to the extreme difficulty of replacing the bridge with a standard Strat one, the bodies often get replaced, although it is possible to fit a Kahler, as Funkfingers said - it still requires some woodwork, but not as bad and the result is very 'clean' since the body has no back rout.

If it is the hardtail, it's a much nicer guitar but still worth much less than a real Dan Smith.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14497
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    That's not a Dan Smith - it's a USA Standard, 1st Version. It does come from the same era but it's not the same thing - make sure it isn't priced as if it is, since some sellers try that on...

They all have very thin, usually slightly v-shaped, necks. Unless it's the rarer hardtail version, the biggest problem with them is the Freeflyte vibrato bridge - it kills sustain and tone, and bits of it can break and are very hard to replace... except by finding another one that someone has already removed from a guitar! Due to the extreme difficulty of replacing the bridge with a standard Strat one, the bodies often get replaced, although it is possible to fit a Kahler, as Funkfingers said - it still requires some woodwork, but not as bad and the result is very 'clean' since the body has no back rout.

If it is the hardtail, it's a much nicer guitar but still worth much less than a real Dan Smith.
    agree - They have become 'known' as the Dan Smith Strat by some, but the is miss-leading IMO - It is the first time Fender used the word 'Standard' as part of a model name - The 'true' Dan Smith Strat is the 3 control knob model - Again Fender never ever called it a Dan Smith Strat - It is just a tag acquired at a later date by dealers, collectors etc

Maybe  a fair name/tag/description would be 'Fender 1983 USA Strat Standard - Dan Smith Era'
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2248
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for all your input. I went back to try it again, and the neck is fantastic on it (I didn't find it overly thin, even for my muckle great paws), very comfortable to play, and the pickups sound fantastic.

I thought I'd try the Strat into an AC15, as there wasn't a Blues Jnr IV in stock (the amp I have currently), and dear christ it sounded stunning. Complete revelation as far as my tasted go. The guitar was really responsive and articulate, full-sounding and bright but not gratingly bright, nice natural compression and the guitar stayed relatively clean at a healthy volume... SO impressed.

I thought just a few years ago that I was completely content just to use BF Fender amps and offsets/teles, never thought I'd want to go for a Strat and an AC15. Quite a revelation for me (others have probably liked this amp/guitar combo for years).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I once owned a proper Dan Smith Strat - it was horrible, heavy, dull etc. Sold it to Clive Brown as I recall! 
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 662
    I've got a proper one up on the board at a good price - see here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/154988/1983-usa-stratocaster-dan-smith-a-proper-one#latest

I'd avoid the two-knob models - full of cost-cutting shortcuts designed to make it cheaper to produce, which is the precise opposite of what Dan Smith and his crew were aiming to achieve when they took over Fender.
    edited July 2019
    Cool, thanks for that. Looks good, and I hear what you’re saying @danny_777 but personally I really did like how the two-knob Strat I tried sounded, the neck was great and it’s reasonably priced.

I’m in absolutely no rush buy anything right now, though. My MIM Classic Series Tele is up for sale and I’ve got the use of an 80s Tokai Strat my guitar tech housemate repaired for someone years and years ago (for some reason the owner could not be contacted, complete radio silence, guitar not collected). I’m more than happy using the Tokai while I amass funds for a new guitar.
    Cool, thanks for that. Looks good, and I hear what you’re saying @danny_777 but personally I really did like how the two-knob Strat I tried sounded, the neck was great and it’s reasonably priced.
    Is it a hardtail, or a Freeflyte one?

How much is 'reasonably priced'? Personally I wouldn't even pay £500 for a Freeflyte one no matter what era they're from or what some sellers want for them... you can buy a much better Mexican Strat for less than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Is it a hardtail, or a Freeflyte one?

How much is 'reasonably priced'? Personally I wouldn't even pay £500 for a Freeflyte one no matter what era they're from or what some sellers want for them... you can buy a much better Mexican Strat for less than that.
    It wasn’t a hardtail (the trem arm wasn’t on it in the shop, though, because ham-fisted or light-fingered customers).
    BintyTwanger77 said:

It wasn’t a hardtail (the trem arm wasn’t on it in the shop, though, because ham-fisted or light-fingered customers).
    If you’re going to buy it, make certain that the *right* arm is included, because they’re difficult and expensive to replace. Preventing theft would be very wise...

https://reverb.com/uk/item/25964213-1983-1984-fender-stratocaster-elite-freeflyte-tremolo-bar-1983?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyLDpBRCxARIsAEENsrIDNeoUv15DGq75jQgItVBLRpE8-0nVtd7tV3z8zvqaczMwIv6OqYUaAiV_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17716
    tFB Trader
    A band mate had a 2 knob freeflite strat and it was very poor in terms of tone and tuning stability. Might have been a duffer of course.
    Just had a quick look on Ebay, Gumtree etc and it looks like most sellers are asking over £900 for these now. Bonkers. A lot described as Dan Smith Era too... deliberately misleading.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17716
    tFB Trader
    I would not take one over a modern mex strat. I'd probably take a classic vibe over one.
    edited July 2019
    So... it seems my ears don’t work, or something. The YMMV rule applies, I suppose. I would take a good Tele over any Strat though.
    So... it seems my ears don’t work, or something. The YMMV rule applies, I suppose. I would take a good Tele over any Strat though.
    Your ears are probably fine... you could have found an odd one that sounds good. Some probably do.