'Patrick' is back home ....what a difference and a huge thank you to Gary Mackay!

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
edited July 2019 in Guitar
As you may have seen from an earlier thread I was having a few problems with my 1997 Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro that I bought through the Fretboard a month or so back.  There was a fair bit of clanking, buzzing, rattling, fret problems eg with the E and B strings on 9th/10th fret and deadspots at the dusky end.  Add to that the somewhat surprisingly abrupt volume pot, needless to say it was not as enjoyable to play as a well-set up Berlin Pro should be.

So it needed some serious tlc -pro-fret levelling work/crowning, a damned good pro-set-up, and a new volume pot ...and having posted here asking for recommendations for a good luthier, as always you guys came through plus there were some great offers of help from luthiers on the fretboard. 

Gary Mackay was one of the luthiers offering help and, bless him, he was even able to pick-up and bring back 'Patrick' to my home.  Couple of weeks ago I got Patrick back from Gary and although there was massive improvement there were still some niggly problems.  Gary is an absolute gent who takes a real pride in his work, and was genuinely mortified there were still some issues and immediately came to pick Patrick up to sort it (as I couldn't be there in person I also did a short video for Gary to help point out the areas). 

I was away in Manchester at my daughter's graduation and Gary very kindly dropped off Patrick at a neighbours.  I've been playing it all morning and WHAT a difference from when I first got the guitar.  Gary's done a superb job and it now plays beautifully across the whole neck, with the new volume pot giving me the control I need to not only clean-up crunch tones but it also violins/blooms beautifully.  

I just wanted to publicly (I've already done so privately) thank Gary for all his efforts, professionalism, care, patience and expertise to ensure the guitar was set-up as I wanted.  He has been an absolute gent and a pleasure to deal with throughout and even though it was clearly a bit of a bugger to do that took him longer than expected, he absolutely honoured the price he quoted me.

So, if anyone here needs a good luthier, I can thoroughly recommend Gary as a top man to look after their pride & joys!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6970
    That’s good to hear. if you posted Gary’s contact details/forum name it would be more useful from a google search and forum recommended luthier point of view.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    edited July 2019
    mrkb said:
    That’s good to hear. if you posted Gary’s contact details/forum name it would be more useful from a google search and forum recommended luthier point of view.
    Glad to...forum name is  @gary_mac - Gary also carries out work for the Guitar Studio shop in Hertford and Farm Factory in Welwyn, & his face-book page is here: https://www.facebook.com/g.macbassandguitarservices/?ref=bookmarks
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Sounds like he deserves a Pat on the back.....
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    skunkwerx said:
    Sounds like he deserves a Pat on the back.....
    Egglesaxctly that! =)
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    @Voxman ;  Rich thanks for taking the time to post this, so glad that you're now able to enjoy the Eggle.  =)
  • HumbuckedHumbucked Frets: 89
    @gary_mac Well done, sir. It's good to know there are still Luthiers out there that have such integrity.
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    Humbucked said:
    @gary_mac Well done, sir. It's good to know there are still Luthiers out there that have such integrity.
    Thanks @Humbucked ; =)
    It's never a chore, because fortunately I just love guitars and basses.  =)