Err...flooring advice needed!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    If you put something obviously cheap down it will put off even more buyers. The other issue is that if you do completely re-do it so it’s obviously new throughout, a buyer might wonder if you’ve had some issue with damp that you’re not disclosing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    BigMonka said:
    I generally agree with the don’t spend on it comments, but it depends how knackered it is. If it’s just a bit tired then that’s fine, but if it’s so bad that it looks like you’ve been the kind of owners who don’t care about the property (and it’s maintenance) then I’d say it’s worth changing.
    The existing downstairs carpet is very very, very knackered in the entrance hall and doorway. It's better through the rest of the space, but being semi open plan it would be difficult to just change that bit.

I appreciate the view about not spending too much money, but as that knackered carpet is the first thing that people will experience when they walk into the place I'm thinking it might be worth doing something to spruce that up without going overboard.

Does anyone have experience of wood effect vinyl sheet? I wondered if that would be a reasonable compromise between price and a fresh/modern appearance to help get the place sold?
    Is there room to put a rug down, as @skunkwerx suggested, just to cover the worn areas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nitefly said:
    Is there room to put a rug down, as @skunkwerx suggested, just to cover the worn areas?

Sounds like this is where the thinking is going. It's an L shaped area, so it might look a bit weird but I'm sure something could be arranged. 

The other option might be to get a carpet fitter to cut out and replace the knackered section with something similar and then use a rug to hide the transition - the semi open plan is divided by a short "corridor" so it hopefully wouldn't look as obvious as new bit vs. old bit.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Wouldnt worry too much on it or spend too much though. I've never bought a place but if I was, I'd be looking for the bricks and mortar condition, location and neighbourhood.

Stuff like carpets are so easy to replace I can't imagine that actually putting anyone off. If the windows needed doing, I can see that deterring peeps.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    If its knackered then a cheap carpet would be my advice. I suspect a lot of your potential  buyers won't have a lot of cash for renovations after they paid their deposit so a new carpet would be a plus point even if its not to their taste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerx said:
    Wouldnt worry too much on it or spend too much though. I've never bought a place but if I was, I'd be looking for the bricks and mortar condition, location and neighbourhood.

Stuff like carpets are so easy to replace I can't imagine that actually putting anyone off. If the windows needed doing, I can see that deterring peeps.
    It put us off when we saw a house the other day. Needed about £12,000 on carpets and decorating in order to be livable!

Bye!

• Thankfully my place isn’t so bashed it needs 12k spent!

Cheap neutral carpets it is!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    WiresDreamDisasters said:

It put us off when we saw a house the other day. Needed about £12,000 on carpets and decorating in order to be livable!
    But would you pay £12K more for the house if it was done, in a style/colour you don't really like?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein