Brian May guitar

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16020
Are all those BM sounds from that red special available from any other guitar(s)?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    No.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6932
    I'd say it's more amp/treble booster/post production than that particular guitar. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    Yes, if you rewire them - the key to his sound is the pickups in series with phase switching. I can't think of any others which give that wiring as stock though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19189
    edited July 2019
    Yes, but it doesn't always look as pretty as a Red Special 
    Please ignore the dust   
    Guitar is a Maya Strat copy, from the 70-80's, the wiring was like that when I bought it & I haven't dared look 'under the bonnet'.
    Black switch is a 7 position rotary, tone & volume do what they say, micro switches erm... work & the original switch channel is now a plastic thumb/hand rest thing. 
    There are more weird tones in this thing than I can recall, because I haven't tried to map them all ( life's too short) but there are nasal out of phase sounds in abundance.

Edit : gratuitous backside shot.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 617

I have the Digitech red special pedal which makes a good fist of 7 preset BM sounds

• PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    This might interest you.
    https://youtu.be/2QI18U-JK3s
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14642
    Guitar Fetish offers BM Red Special conversion pickguards and Burns style pickups to fit Stratocaster and copy guitars. 

The scale length and screwed on neck must make some difference but the basic idea is there.

Third party schematic diagrams exist for adding parallel interconnection of the pickup coils in addition to the BMRS series mode.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
    edited July 2019
    Guitar Fetish offers BM Red Special conversion pickguards and Burns style pickups to fit Stratocaster and copy guitars. 
    Had a Red Special copy a few years ago - loved the sounds but the neck was too wide to be comfortable. A conversion kit could be useful for a project, and a good excuse for another guitar. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Just use a sixpenny piece as a pick and you're halfway there.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23371
    PFAllen2 said:
    This might interest you.
    https://youtu.be/2QI18U-JK3s
    But be cautious from 11'00" to 15'10" if you're distressed by hamfisted woodworking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7207
    aspnet said:
    Had a Red Special copy a few years ago - loved the sounds but the neck was too wide to be comfortable. A conversion kit could be useful for a project, and a good excuse for another guitar. 
    Apparently the original has an utterly massive neck, and the commercial copies are more modestly proportioned.  

I understand they measured a classical guitar before shaping the neck... but forgot to account for the fingerboard depth, which added another 5-7mm.  Brian must have big old hands.