Nailing those Glassy Toanz

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8827
edited July 2019 in Guitar
Spotted in a chi chi glass shop in Venezia. If anyone could embed I’d be grateful: limited iPhone functionality here...

https://imgur.com/a/UYUMmqf

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19155
    A Murano Stratocaster. Pay for with American Express, presumably for authenticity?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    That’s actually quite an impressive piece of work, to get something so apparently crude to have a bridge and a set of machineheads that line up and make it theoretically playable.

I wonder if it would be possible to engineer a real guitar out of glass? It’s actually a precision engineering material. It would probably weigh a ton though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19155
    ICBM said:
    That’s actually quite an impressive piece of work, to get something so apparently crude to have a bridge and a set of machineheads that line up and make it theoretically playable.

I wonder if it would be possible to engineer a real guitar out of glass? It’s actually a precision engineering material. It would probably weigh a ton though...
    One of the students where I used to work was intending to make a working glass guitar some years ago. The basic mould for casting was fine, but getting tolerances, cavities & holes right was an issue.
    Also given the size of the piece, the annealing process was critical to de-stress the object. Drilling or cutting large glass was  interesting, as hitting a stress point or flaw was catastrophic & total.

He gave up on the idea in the end, not least as it was going to weigh about 13-14Kg (about 30 odd pounds!) and still more fragile than a vintage Gibson SG headstock  :o
    I wondered if a 2 piece bolt on would be better, but I'll never know  :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Fretless, cool.
  • There was a playable guitar made from porcelain. It featured on a YT video I saw a few years back.

BTW, I would hate that ornament in my house. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    edited July 2019
    As played at Glass-tonbury and at various gigging venues in Glass-gow!!   However, there's stuff you must NEVER play on it - Nick Lowe's 'I love the sound of breaking glass' , Annie Lennox'  Walking on broken glass, Laura Brannigan's 'Shattered glass' etc - or anything by the Smashing Pumpkins!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)