Fender Supersonic hiss update: too few mu?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Like others here, I had one, loved the tones, hated the hiss. Regret selling it. They’re useless for home use if you can’t ignore the hiss. In a band, they’re great. I don’t think you can mod the hiss away. 
    My Mesa Blue Angel is the same, even with a 12AY7 in V2 (the critical valve stage in these). I have to attenuate it even for a clean sound at home since that allows you to turn the amp volume up further and then bring the whole thing - including the hiss - back down. It’s a bit of a faff but at least it does sound great like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    ICBM said:
    Like others here, I had one, loved the tones, hated the hiss. Regret selling it. They’re useless for home use if you can’t ignore the hiss. In a band, they’re great. I don’t think you can mod the hiss away. 
    My Mesa Blue Angel is the same, even with a 12AY7 in V2 (the critical valve stage in these). I have to attenuate it even for a clean sound at home since that allows you to turn the amp volume up further and then bring the whole thing - including the hiss - back down. It’s a bit of a faff but at least it does sound great like that.
    Totally agree, with an attenuator they are actually pretty quiet for home use. 
  • Lodious said:
    ICBM said:
    Ah ok, good idea, I wish I’d tried that. I presume by attenuator you mean just a simple gain device in the fx loop, rather than a hot plate 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Littlejonny said:

Ah ok, good idea, I wish I’d tried that. I presume by attenuator you mean just a simple gain device in the fx loop, rather than a hot plate 
    I use a Hot Plate with the Blue Angel since that also allows me to get power amp compression - and the Mesa has a parallel loop with a fixed dry-through anyway, so a volume box doesn't work - but it should work with the Fender.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Lodious said:
    ICBM said:
    No, I meant a hot plate or similar