Amp Family Tree?

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Is anyone aware of there being a kind of "amp family tree" available online?

I.e. has the main types of amps like Fender, Marshall, Vox etc. then has some examples of amps that are in each category?

E.g. Friedman BE under Marshall.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    No but it is a good idea

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Don't most manufacturers describe their amps as having certain characteristics such as 'vox chime' 'fender sparkle' 'Marshall grind' etc...
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Well I'm guessing it would mainly start with Fender, that's where Marshall came from!
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    No but it is a good idea

In deed. Now, someone went to the considerable trouble to test and rate over a dozen of the most common "studio" microphones. Listed  with adjectives such as "smooth, bright, dull, heavy,harsh treble, thin" and so on.

Virtually all valve amps of course trace their lineage back to Fender and the valve data sheets, design mistakes et al! So, there are only so many variants you can do with valves but when you add in voicing  and tolerances it all gets a bit tricky!

And, does the "tree" give the sound into one specific speaker?

Dave.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    ecc83 said:
    No but it is a good idea

In deed. Now, someone went to the considerable trouble to test and rate over a dozen of the most common "studio" microphones. Listed  with adjectives such as "smooth, bright, dull, heavy,harsh treble, thin" and so on.

Virtually all valve amps of course trace their lineage back to Fender and the valve data sheets, design mistakes et al! So, there are only so many variants you can do with valves but when you add in voicing  and tolerances it all gets a bit tricky!

And, does the "tree" give the sound into one specific speaker?

Dave.
    Sounds like a thesis project now!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    I dont think it will work, My JVM has been sitting on top of my JCA 50h for about a year and a half and they still reproduced. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    A dirt pedal one could be good too (aka "Everything's a Timmy and a Timmy is a Tubescreamer")
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom