Genuine Fender?

What's Hot
EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 639
Morning all,

Interested in a Fender Telecaster being sold locally. The seller doesn't seem to know much about it but I thought I'd draw on the collective wisdom of the forums.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/4UkAAOSwdeVdLFDj/$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/XpsAAOSwnMRdLFC7/$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/YeIAAOSwZoBdLFDS/$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

The pictures aren't great quality - I've requested more.

A few things to note:

- Headstock decal placement -  a little high?
- Two string trees and odd placement of string trees
- Non-slotted machine heads
- Truss rod hole missing plug?

I know the 70s weren't known for consistency, but interested to hear any thoughts. My initial reaction was that its counterfeit.

Thanks in advance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    What is it being advertised as?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27474
    Could be a genuine 70's that's lost its truss rod "bullet". That would have 2 trees and no walnut plug around the truss rod hole. But the string trees on those are usually closer together. If not a bullet-truss-without-bullet then the lack of walnut plug or collar is a dead giveaway for a fake.

A 70's Tele wouldn't have originally had pickup adjustment screws through the pickguard either. I wouldn't be buying without a lot more info.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    The transition at the bottom of the heel is too rounded for a genuine Fender neck.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72845
    edited July 2019
    The decal appears to be over the finish not under which is wrong for that type of logo, the string tree positions are wrong, the 12th-fret dot spacing is wrong for any 70s Fender, the pickguard placement on the body (especially lower horn) is wrong, the knobs and control plate look cheap, and the truss rod access looks like a Chinese Squier not like a missing bullet.

And the finish is an obvious 'relic', which although it wouldn't rule out a refinished original guitar, in combination with the other stuff it makes it pretty much a certainty.

Fake.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 639
    Thanks everyone, as I suspected. I'll give it a wide berth.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14646
    Control knobs should be flat topped.

Bridge plate should have Fender stamped into it, perpendicular to the strings, close to the D/G saddle.

Images of the back of the headstock and the machinehead gear casings might provide clues to the original guitar brand.

On Fender guitars of that period, the headstock face was still sprayed in nitro-cellulose. It has a characteristic way of crazing and discolouring. Removing the string guides and, in the case of this fake guitar, the machinehead washers will expose the clear finish in its original colour.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4209
    Look at the spacing of the 12th fret dot markers, dead giveaway 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2573
    Nope
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14646
    The transition at the bottom of the heel is too rounded for a genuine Fender neck.
    Probably a Korean copy. Ironically, it might have been worth more money with its original decals still in situ.

There seems to be an endless supply of people who regret selling their first guitar who, then, purchase another example of the same model for sentimental reasons.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23390
    And no skunk stripe on the neck?