Revolving pickups anyone?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    DrBob said:
    I feel like I'm being stupid here:     6 pickups (3 per position), but 15 combinations.... how? I'm assuming no coil-splits/taps are involved, but if so then I can only make 9 combinations*.

Combo Neck Bridge
    1 A A
    2 A B
    3 A C
    4 B A
    5 B B
    6 B C
    7 C A
    8 C B
    9 C C

*ignoring pickup position selections!

Also, $16,000 for one of these? Is that a joke?!
    I think he did say there were coil splits on the humbuckers 
    Hmm, now I'm at 16 (*= split):

Combo Neck Bridge
    1 A A
    2 A B
    3 A C
    4 B A
    5 B B
    6 B C
    7 C A
    8 C B
    9 C C
    10 A* A
    11 A* B
    12 A* C
    13 A A*
    14 B A*
    15 C A*
    16 A* A*
    Only one off though mate ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Modular pickups aren't a new thing. It's just they never caught on. Don't see this will be any different.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    DrBob said:
    Only one off though mate ! 
    Yeah but they missed the trick of charging $1,000 per combination! :D
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

What it REALLY needs is the ability for each pickup to go to a different amp.

So you'll need a minimum of six amps with six sets of pedals for each amp, but you could no doubt set things up for twelve or eighteen amps, depending on the size of the stage.

Having said that, you could add in some kind of system so that you could opt out of the amp switching, or even better still, have an app which allows the audience to change your amp and pickups (obviously using a voting system, you couldn't have every person able to change things all at once, as that would be silly). 
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Paul_C said:

So you'll need a minimum of six amps with six sets of pedals for each amp, but you could no doubt set things up for twelve or eighteen amps, depending on the size of the stage.

Having said that, you could add in some kind of system so that you could opt out of the amp switching, or even better still, have an app which allows the audience to change your amp and pickups (obviously using a voting system, you couldn't have every person able to change things all at once, as that would be silly). 
    Would rather have the flexibility of each string on each pickup going to its own amp
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Why is it humans love to complicate things?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    thegummy said:
    Paul_C said:

Would rather have the flexibility of each string on each pickup going to its own amp
    Or indeed each fret / sting combination routable to a different out
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    You can have too much of a good thing.  I'd take a bare bones tele over all this rotating pickups trickery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    You can have too much of a good thing.  I'd take a bare bones tele over all this rotating pickups trickery. 
    A standard Tele with neck/middle/bridge switching or do you mean one with just a bridge pickup?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    thegummy said:
    TheMarlin said:
    A standard Tele with neck/middle/bridge switching or do you mean one with just a bridge pickup?
    Either.  I’ve got a Snakehead tele. Love that thing. One good pickup is better than Six that don’t float my boat.  I thought the humbuckers in the video sounded bloody awful. 
    TheMarlin said:
    thegummy said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Either.  I’ve got a Snakehead tele. Love that thing. One good pickup is better than Six that don’t float my boat.  I thought the humbuckers in the video sounded bloody awful. 
    That's an interesting point.

One thing I love about the Precision bass is that there's just one pickup so you just plug it in and concentrate on playing.

When I was researching another bass there's a lot of talk about EQ controls and mid range knobs etc.

On one hand it gives you more options but, on the other hand, those options require decisions which can distract from the playing.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    imagine how many more hours the edge can listen to all those combinations with his effects rack, the mind boggles 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    thegummy said:

4) What pro player has EVER said "Oh crap, sorry, I can't play that song, I've only got my Strat with me"?

They wouldn't say they can't play a song but that doesn't mean they won't prefer to play it on humbuckers.

A possible use for this could be to play, say, a verse on the Strat pickup then move to a humbucker for the chorus. Impossible without this guitar really.
    Unless you have an HSS strat.
    Don't touch that dial.
    edited July 2019
    Fez said:
    thegummy said:

4) What pro player has EVER said "Oh crap, sorry, I can't play that song, I've only got my Strat with me"?

They wouldn't say they can't play a song but that doesn't mean they won't prefer to play it on humbuckers.

A possible use for this could be to play, say, a verse on the Strat pickup then move to a humbucker for the chorus. Impossible without this guitar really.
    Unless you have an HSS strat.
    Only if you also want to change from the neck or middle for the verse to the bridge for the chorus.

Couldn't do any other option such as sticking the the bridge for both.