Phasers

What's Hot
MalCoxMalCox Frets: 9
Hi all, I'm new here, have a bit of a pedal buying/trying/selling thing going on and I'm now convinced I need a phaser. The only reference point I have is the MXR script re-issue which I owned a few years ago. Another one of those would do the job but I wondered if anyone had any recommendations - must be something of a similar sound (EVH is my tonal goal) 
Nothing too complicated or mega pricey as it will only get used on a couple of songs, cheers in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    The mxr mini phaser is good. It gives you phase 90 and 45 plus the script version of each. They appear used on eBay fairly often.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MalCoxMalCox Frets: 9
    Thanks, didn't realise it was as versatile, will check that out.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    The Mooer Ninety Orange is excellent - it's got vintage and modern modes too. I did a blind A/B test with a guy who was obsessed with vintage effects, and none of us could tell the difference between it and an original script-logo Phase 90 from the 70s.
    <space for hire>
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    The Mooer Ninety Orange is excellent - it's got vintage and modern modes too. I did a blind A/B test with a guy who was obsessed with vintage effects, and none of us could tell the difference between it and an original script-logo Phase 90 from the 70s.
    Agreed :+1:   I have a Tokai TPH-2 which I love, but the Mooer would give it a close run for tone and beat it for value.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    JezWynd said:
    The mxr mini phaser is good. It gives you phase 90 and 45 plus the script version of each. They appear used on eBay fairly often.
    Yes, the Phase 95's are very good. I've owned one twice, but settled on a Retro-Sonic phaser. The RS is more subtle (certainly compared to MXR Block logo mode on the 95), but it has a lovely voicing.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24271
    The old Ibanez PH7 Tonelock phaser is a cheap and excellent too.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I like the EHX Small Stone Nano as a budget option. It's not the Phase 90 sound, but, for me, it's a chewier warm sound. Might be marginally better suited to clean tones than drive, though.
    Thanks folks, food for thought.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    If by any mircacle you can find the first edition TC Phaser XII, it's a benchmark. Rare as, though

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3851
    Phase 95. Job done
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    If you're looking specifically for EVH phase then imo the problem is hearing the Phase 90 sound as prominently as it is on VH1.  I've tried a few and they've been too subtle, even the 74 handwired CSP026 version.  That thing has the sound, but getting it to sound as prominent as the album in the mix has beaten me.

The Phase 95 has the block 90 option which is better, more prominent but too intense.  To be fair even the script setting is close.

If you find the right pedal please post :) I can't stand phase, with one frustrating exception...
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    don't fart about. get thee the whirlwind phaser.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    clarkefan said:

If you find the right pedal please post :) I can't stand phase, with one frustrating exception...
    Boss PH-1R. It will nail the Phase 90 sound exactly if you want, but you can turn the resonance up to make it more intense.

NB - the PH-2 and PH-3 don’t sound the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5853
    Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser......the Best there is  :3
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    bbill335 said:
    don't fart about. get thee the whirlwind phaser. You know what, I'd completely forgotten that I bought one of those when they first came out and it was very good. But, being an impulsive idiot I sold it to fund something else... as you do.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I have a lot of phasers (eighteen at last count) and the one I keep going back to is the Ibanez PT-9.

The PT-9, like the Phase 90 and PH-1r, is a 4-stage, FET phaser and having looked at the circuit, it's *very* close to the PH-1r and although I've never tried one of those (it's at the top of my wants list) it is highly likely that they sound very similar too.

Although the P90 is nice enough, you just have the one sound and it does have an issue in that it's very easy to overload the input and distort the tone. Obviously, not a problem if you're going for EVH tones, but if you are using a cleanish tone, you'll probably notice it. The PT-9, PH-1r (and the Phase 45, surprisingly) don't have this issue. With the additional controls, you can dial in the P90 sound and a whole lot more. I tend to default to a slow, trippy sweep with phasers and the PT-9's rendition of this sound is heavenly to my ears.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I've always liked the Ibanez phasers PH7 on my B board. Though it no longer works I still have my original blue one from the 70's
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I’m gassing badly for a Walrus Audio Lillian
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2362
    What about the Ibanez Ph99?  Anyone used one?  Can't find a good video with one, but I have the RC99 chorus which is great (and I don't usually like chorus). 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    +1 for the Mooer. Nice and small too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"