Gibson Open Book Headstock and Tokai

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 857
edited July 2019 in Guitar
Why is it in Australia & Canada Tokai sell guitars with what looks like a blatant copy of Gibson's headstock while in other countries there seems to be an adjustment?

Example 1

Example 2

I'm sure I've seen this with other brands as well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    I believe it's related with the fact that Gibson can't enforce headstock shape as being proprietary in those countries. I don't think that is the casa with Canada though. But Australia and Japan yes.

Probably the canada examples you're seeing have been imported by someone and not really and oficial distribution channel.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14560
    tFB Trader
    brooom said:
    I believe it's related with the fact that Gibson can't enforce headstock shape as being proprietary in those countries. I don't think that is the casa with Canada though. But Australia and Japan yes.

Probably the canada examples you're seeing have been imported by someone and not really and oficial distribution channel.
    that is effectively my understanding as well

Stories go back to the 80's when Tokai first started importing many 'vintage' style replicas into the USA - The headtsocks were cut of the guitar by customs  officials for breaching 'trademarks' etc - But we could still sell the same guitar in the UK
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 857
    Cheers thanks for the replies, I'm of to Oz in October and I may treat myself whilst out there.

Any unforeseen issues bringing a guitar back? CITES!?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11488
    Cheers thanks for the replies, I'm of to Oz in October and I may treat myself whilst out there.

As a personal possession that you are carrying with you, it should be fine.
    edited July 2019
    crunchman said:

As a personal possession that you are carrying with you, it should be fine.
    Uhmmm, I'd better check with Singapore Airlines that I can have one as hand luggage!

Pre planning at this stage: )
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19203
    Don't forget that it is fairly easy to get MIJ Tokai 'home market' LP's in the UK secondhand.
    i love mine & I'm sorry, but it is at least as good as my USA Gibson's  ;)

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4978
    What's the cost of a flight to Oz?
    edited July 2019
    prowla said:
    What's the cost of a flight to Oz?
    In our case £687 return.

Don't forget that it is fairly easy to get MIJ Tokai 'home market' LP's in the UK secondhand.
    i love mine & I'm sorry, but it is at least as good as my USA Gibson's 

Good point & potentially less hassle.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 789
    I don't understand why people even care about the 'nipple' on the uk imports, are guitarists becoming autistic ?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11488
    gordiji said:
    I don't understand why people even care about the 'nipple' on the uk imports, are guitarists becoming autistic ?

If you are illegally carrying a CITES species of wood, then the guitar could be confiscated and you won't ever get it back.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19203
    gordiji said:
    Don't forget that you are talking about some people that would sacrifice their firstborn rather than have MIM on their headstock sticker  ;) :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    gordiji said:
    I love nipples when they are in the right place: )

When they are on guitars if I can get basically the same guitar without a nipple and it may work out cheaper I know which I'd go for: )
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14560
    tFB Trader

CITES rules are potentially changing in the Autumn - the meeting in Spring in Sri Lanka was cancelled due to the terrorist attract around the same time

Bringing a guitar back on the plane as personal possession and you should be okay ref CITES - You may still need to pay tax/vat on arrival - Get a receipt from the dealer that indicates date of build + contains Indian rosewood  customs documentation, if required

Generally you'll find Aus prices more expensive than UK