Learning to play the piano

Since my dad died I have been clearing out his stuff and have come across a boxed unused Yamaha PSR-E353 digital piano and would like to have a go at learning to play it. What would be the best starting point for learning please? Would YouTube be a good place to start or are there better online courses? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    look on youtube for the online violin and piano tutor, I've used her violin lessons and they're excellent, so I think it's safe to assume so is her piano stuff, certainly good enough to get you started. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    There are loads of good videos on YouTube. I've been playing piano \ keys for 20 years but still learn from Youtube 

Best advice I would give anyone is use the correct hand placement and fingering from the start even if it feels unnatural at first. I didn't do this and it ended up hampering me and slowed my progress ... to the point I had to relearn technique wise in order to play more demanding pieces.

Get stuck in and good luck, it's a very enjoyable instrument to play as you can accompany yourself a lot easier than you can on guitar.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Check the Pianote channel on youtube
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Check out Jonny May on t'internet.  There are lots of sites that show how to play songs and music styles.  A bit like guitar really.  Good fun though.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for the replies, I've been checking the specs and it seems it has a built in "Yamaha Education Suite" that teaches you songs so that may be a starting point. The keyboard seems to get quite good reviews so I'm going to keep it and try and learn a few songs.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.