Adding a handpainted graphic to the front of a guitar

What's Hot
Hi everyone!

Here's a question about finishing:

I have a strat style body finished in cream poly. I want to add a handpainted image to the front of the body using acrylics (it'll only be on the front).

Is there a way to do this without a complete refinish? Could I in theory rub down the front with 800 grit, do the painting, then apply clearcoats or would this just look awful?

Thanks everyone!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Artists' acrylic paints, applied with artists' brushes, tend to leave a three-dimensional result. This variable thickness does not lend itself well to overspraying with clear coat.

Unless the design is very bold, it will be almost impossible for an audience to see it, let alone appreciate all the trouble that the work would have taken.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    It's very doable. Polyester finishes are hard and make a good base layer. Flat it back to key the surface to let the acrylic paint grip properly. As suggested you may need to be careful with the acrylic paint so it doesn't get so textured that top-coating becomes difficult. My own Judge Dredd guitar was done like this with the artist using a mix of airbrush and paintbrush.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StephenBStephenB Frets: 75
    Thanks for the info guys! @FelineGuitars that looks so amazing!! Do you know if it was just the top that was sanded for that or would you recommend sanding and clear-coating the entire thing?

Cheers!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    StephenB said:
    Thanks for the info guys! @FelineGuitars that looks so amazing!! Do you know if it was just the top that was sanded for that or would you recommend sanding and clear-coating the entire thing?

Cheers!
    Because we knew it was going to be a graphic from the outset - we had a white poly basecoat  that was flatted all over to about 400/600 grit and the artwork done. Then it was clear coated without trying to flat the graphic  at all
    Here it is before it went for clear and while Nick was still putting the final details in

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    This was done by Matt Deighton (Mother Earth, Paul Weller, Oasis etc...). It was done with acrylics and sealed with regular varnish (even on the neck) with a brush. It survived many years of gigging. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.