Acoustic for fingerstyle?

What's Hot
I play a lot of fingerstyle bebop tunes and have been playing them on my telecaster for a while now. I'm looking to venture into a more acoustic sound, does anyone have any suggestions? Price range around £2000-£2500. I'd definitely like at least a 1 3/4" nut width and prefer a more mahogany sound than rosewood for the back and sides.  I'd also like it to have a full gloss finish on the body. I really like the Taylor 612ce 12-fret but just can't reach the £3499 they retail for. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Martin D18 or OM18 are good choices, but my J45 sounds good for Kenny Burrell type numbers.
  • monkaiboymonkaiboy Frets: 27
    Depends on the sound you like - Taylors have a sound, as do Martins. Or there is the more overtone laden sound of Lowdens, Avalons etc. Beautiful, if that is your cup of tea.

For me I like the Martin thing, but it's a personal thing. YouTube is your friend, until you can get yourself to a good guitar shop :)

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Take a look at Atkin guitars' range:

https://atkinguitars.com

Beautifully made, great playability and they sound wonderful.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33814
    I think 000's are perfect for fingerstyle.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7523
    octatonic said:
    I almost always prefer OM over 000 - something about that shorter scale length that (when comparing) I don't take to as much. 

I know you (OP) said Mahogany but a new Martin OM21 reimagined is in budget, even without any haggle/discount and well worth a try 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11951
    For value and quality, I'd recommend phoning Avalon
    You can pop over to Frailers to try a load of used USA-built guitars (Martin, Gibson, Taylor, |Larrivee), also new Lowdens (which Avalon used to make)
    edited July 2019
    Actually there are a lot of good options in the classifieds here currently

Atkin
    Avalon
    McIlroy
    Eggle 
    Taylor
    Red ones are better. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33814
    TimmyO said:
    octatonic said:
    I almost always prefer OM over 000 - something about that shorter scale length that (when comparing) I don't take to as much. 

Do you work a lot in alternate tunings?
    Both my Forshage headless guitars are 24.9 as well as my two self made 000's.
    It just feels like home, especially in DADGAD.
    I don't much at all but intend to more 
    Red ones are better. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'm not sure there are many "what's the best acoustic for..." questions to which the answer isn't "a J45". 

Such a great guitar to play, does subtle finger picking through to booming cannon open chords and pretty much everything in between. 
    Fuengi said:
    I'm not sure there are many "what's the best acoustic for..." questions to which the answer isn't "a J45". 

Such a great guitar to play, does subtle finger picking through to booming cannon open chords and pretty much everything in between. 
    See, I own a.good J45 ("J45 Vintage" with Adi top) and I do agree it can do anything but I don't think it's the BEST at any if them 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 266
    Personal preferences / playing style are a major influence of choice.

For me, Avalon have been a revelation after trying Taylors, Martins and a Lowden. I've got a 2018 L2-20 lefty (like the right-handed one that is currently listed in the classifieds) and it is the best fingerstyle guitar I've come across to date - although I'm hoping it will be surpassed by the custom Avalon I've currently got on order. I find it works well with Elixir Polyweb lights.

What surprised me about it is that, although it is a jumbo, it feels completely comfortable for complex fingerstyle playing.

In addition to the L2-20 in classifieds at a great price, there's also the mahogany back and sides equivalent (L2-10) new 2019 model currently on eBay from I supplier I can wholeheartedly recommend - not costing much more.

With your budget you could also get a custom made guitar from Brook in Devon if you are prepared to wait a bit (I've got one coming later in the year).
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15583
    the best acoustic for fingerstyle is the one you have. Not being flippant, but once you get beyond a certain price point (and even below that you can find cracking guitars) you won't buy a duff one, and there are plenty of really good players playing on all manner of sized guitars. 
    If you don't yet have a decent acoustic, then any of the ones in the classifieds will be great, otherwise toottle along to your nearest reputable guitar emporium and play a load, buy the one you like best.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    I play a lot of fingerstyle bebop tunes and have been playing them on my telecaster for a while now. I'm looking to venture into a more acoustic sound, does anyone have any suggestions? Price range around £2000-£2500. I'd definitely like at least a 1 3/4" nut width and prefer a more mahogany sound than rosewood for the back and sides.  I'd also like it to have a full gloss finish on the body. I really like the Taylor 612ce 12-fret but just can't reach the £3499 they retail for. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say aside from nut width, a really important aspect which is often overlooked for playing fingerstyle is the string spacing at the saddle, and it's something which all depends on your own preferences, but too narrow or too wide can make things tricky. 

Another thing to keep in mind is neck profile, and one's preference is likely to be down to one's playing style and individual ergonomics. 

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @kswilson89 Take a look at the Taylor 616 "Big Leaf Maple" Limited Edition I have listed in the classifieds. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I played a new D18 in Project the other day. I could pick that thing for the rest of my days and not look anywhere else. Utterly fantastic. Nobody makes a Martin as good as Martin
  • elkayelkay Frets: 78
    I currently have a Martin 000-18, a Gibson J-45 Standard, and, until recently, also owned a Taylor 812ce 12 fret. The Taylor produced lush chords which are hard to equal, but I found it to have far too complex a tone for individual note clarity. Of the 3, for the type of music you specified, I would have to say that, in my opinion, the 000-18 is easily the best suited, as it not only has amazing single note clarity but also has a lovely chime from the mahogany back and sides.
  • MichaelWattsMichaelWatts Frets: 181
    If you liked the Taylor 6 series but you're after a mahogany sound then check out the new 322Ce, I just reviewed it for Guitar, you can read my thoughts here  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    If you liked the Taylor 6 series but you're after a mahogany sound then check out the new 322Ce, I just reviewed it for Guitar, you can read my thoughts here  
    Good review Michael. Nice to read a balanced piece, not the regular gush-fest one often comes across. One criticism  - of the photographic editor - since the back and side wood are the unique feature, a photo would have been interesting.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I have a Taylor 712ce, which is great for finger style, having a short scale , smallish body and quite wide string spacing.  I also find that it is a surprisingly good strummer too.
    I once tried a 12 fret 712 and found it rather bass heavy.

If the OP has considered a 612, but doesn’t like the price, and wants mahogany, I would suggest taking a look at a Taylor 322.  Same dimensions, but all mahogany!  I don’t know whether there is a 12 fret version, but they are much less money than the 612.  I’ve tried one, it was good.

Just in case no one else has mentioned Brook, I will.  A lovely bunch of chaps in Devon, who turn out hand made instruments at reasonable prices.  My current go-to instrument is a Brook Torridge, which cost £2150 new.