Just me and a drum machine?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
Hi all, for a host of reasons, I'm not in a position to commit to a band these days, but itching to play live. (open mic style, originals, even video a set for online).
I'm going to do it solo, and wouldn't mind combining a drum machine maybe. Electro sounds though. I don't want an acoustic sounding drum. So, would just be me, a guitar, some pedals, a foot stomp thing, which might solve my query, and maybe a TC Helicon harmony singer just to add something to the oooos and aaaas. 
A lot for an open mic gig eh! But if I were to video a set, which is what I'll do, then that would be the set up.
Anyone do this at all?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited July 2019
    You are KT Tunstall & ICM£5

(seriously good luck, no hiding place !)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Yeah, I think I'll steer clear of looping though. I don't want to go down that road, just use an electro drum and a footstomp maybe....
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Just do loads of Carter USM songs
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I gig with just a singer quite often, and use a homemade stompbox to add urgency either at pretty much the point where the bass and drums would come in in a band arrangement, or just for choruses. 

I built one out of an old shelf and a piezo pickup when I realised the venues with carpets were harder to get any momentum going than those with wooden floors. 

I've tried it with drum machines and loopers and hate the rigidity of it - plus I never relax and get involved with the audience when I'm operating machinery rather than playing music, but that could just be lack of practice. 

I've recently bought a cable-operated cajon pedal, effectively giving me a kick drum with my right foot while I stomp on a tambourine with my left. I takes a little coordination especially at the start of a passage, but sounds fantastic when you bring it in for the second verse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @p90fool that cajon idea sounds interesting , if I were to use any drums it would just be the one beat for the song , i wouldn’t be triggering fills etc and I would use it sparingly 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    @p90fool have you got any details of your diy stomp box please? I was wondering about these not long ago.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    @BigMonka it's literally just a piece of flat wood with a rubber amp foot at each corner to elevate it slightly, an old piezo undersaddle pickup hot glued to the underside, wired to a jack socket at the rear. 

The whole thing is then wrapped in gaffer tape to make it stomp and beer proof. 

Obviously the sound it makes is entirely dependent on desk EQ, you can have a fair bit of bottom end or more of a woodblock click.

Despite being totally passive though, it doesn't need a preamp or a DI box, much like stamping on an acoustic guitar wouldn't, probably. 
    :)
    I have one of the shadow foot stompers but have not gigged it properly yet