Slides

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
edited July 2019 in Guitar
Looking at these at the moment and i think it's either glass or brass.....they say glass is warmer but is obviously fragile....how fragile, are they easy to ruin when dropped?

Thanks guys 
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    Hootsmon said:
    Looking at these at the moment and i think it's either glass or brass.....they say glass is warmer but is obviously fragile....how fragile, are they easy to ruin when dropped?

Thanks guys 
    I dropped a glass one and it smashed, like proper smashed, as though it was made of glass, which of course it was.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I've got a standard EB glass slide. Just dropping it is unlikely to damage it as they're quite tough.
    I'm very happy with it. Glass is better than metal - for me, anyway.

There's also ceramic and even wolfram (tungsten carbide) if you want to spend lots!

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24842
    Had a couple of thick glass slides for years. They sound much better than brass to my ears. I’ve not managed to smash either yet....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • billzabozobillzabozo Frets: 62
    I only use diamond bottlenecks slides. I've dropped my share of them and so far they have all survived but I would always recommend having a back up. You might get unlucky and smash one, but more common is dropping a slide or falling off an amp and deciding it wants no further part in your set and rolls off to have a drink at the bar.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    I only use diamond bottlenecks slides. I've dropped my share of them and so far they have all survived but I would always recommend having a back up. You might get unlucky and smash one, but more common is dropping a slide or falling off an amp and deciding it wants no further part in your set and rolls off to have a drink at the bar.
    I have a Diamond glass bottleneck as well and it's truly superb. 

IMO, I'd say more important than the material of the slide is finding one that is the right size for the particular finger it will be used with and finding one with a good weight, ie not too heavy or too light. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18897
    Slides are found in kids playgrounds & water parks.
    Bottlenecks are found on... bottles.
    Most of the fun is in emptying the bottles & then experimenting with sizes, this may possibly involve a trip to A&E and an explanation.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've got a thick walled glass slide and you'd have to hurl it against a brick wall to break it. I've also got a heavy ceramic one which I prefer  soundwise.
    Brass sounds a bit thin and buzzy to me.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've a couple of the Dunlop glass ones which are fine. Somewhere in the house and I'm bu**ered if I can find it (got tidied away one Christmas) is a ceramic one that sounds superb.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    edited July 2019
    I prefer glass to steel and I prefer ceramic to glass and I prefer bone to ceramic, but they're hard to come by.

For lap and Weissenborn I use stainless Shubbs and the best of all, an ezee-slide tone bar. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have a mixture of metal, glass and ceramic/porcelain slides and much prefer the ceramics to the others. You can really fall down the slide rabbit hole with these things as there's so much choice!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33815
    I use medicine bottle glass slides.
    They sound the best but will smash if dropped.
    Don’t drop them.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    if you want glass, Ian at Diamond Bottlenecks is your man - they are the best ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    and remember, if you are going to use it on your little finger, not too heavy or stress injury will result ...
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4114
    I bought a glass one online but it was too small for my finger.  Didn't send it back in time so had to keep it.  Eventually found a use for it in applying a neat finish to the grout of my bathroom tiles when I did my ensuite.  It was the perfect tool for the  job. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I went through a phase of making my own from various types of bottles. I must've gone through over a dozen bottles to end up with 4 or 5 usable slides.
    Lea & Perrins bottles make for a decent slide IIRC.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I have a Jetslide, it’s bloody brilliant.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    daveyh said:
    I have a Jetslide, it’s bloody brilliant.

Same here. Although I still occasionally use a metal pinky slide as well.

It's not a competition.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    +1 ian at diamond bottleneck are the best and a great guy to deal with
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    just by some mixed herbs from J Sainsburys and use the jar!  - Really full bodied grind...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>