Ibanez / DiMarzio Neck pickups - are they wired differently?

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
edited July 2019 in Making & Modding
On the Ibanez two Humbucker setup with a five way switch (Ibanez 2502N), in position 2 (position ! being the bridge humbucker), you're supposed to get the inner coils of each humbucker in parallel.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/Jiw4ENq.jpg)

This is supposed to mimic position 2 on a Strat (though I suppose strictly speaking, a telecaster).

When you use after-market pickups however, you get the 'fingerboard-side' coil of each pickup, rather than the bridge side coil of the neck pickup - and they don't hum-cancel.

So are the DiMarzio neck pickups that come stock on Ibanez Prestige guitars wired slightly differently from stock DiMario pickups?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    In the circuit you describe, for selector switch position 2 to be hum cancelling, it is necessary to reverse the magnetic polarity of one humbucker. 

The DiMarzio humbuckers typically used in Ibanez guitars have twelve adjustable polepieces. Thus, if your neck/Rhythm position humbucker splits to the fingerboard side coil, you just reinstall it rotated through 180 degrees.

Depending on which OTAX switch you use, it may still be necessary to swap the conductors per coil. (As per the schematic diagram that you posted.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom