Oh God.. That Strat Tone....

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6145
Is just absolutely feckin' beautiful here. Stig Trip with his 1995 Standard American Stratocaster.
Is that a PRS amp he's playing through?

Just a stunning example of beautiful Strat tone.. crisp and on the edge into break up.
Gotta say it just does my head in.. :)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    That's all reverb and delay.  Nice break up though. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6145
    Yep.. it's definitely the breakup that floats my boat.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    Sounds like a Strat... Am I missing something?
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited July 2019
    That's not a pure Strat tone. There's a ton of compression there so I don't think that's just from a straight amp. I checked his Web site gear section and he uses a Kemper profiling amp.  Interestingly he also has a Relish Mary guitar..(.the one that's held together by magnets).

're break up, it sounds similar to a Fender Bassman breakup.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Voxman said:
    That's not a pure Strat tone. There's a ton of compression there so I don't think that's just from a straight amp. I checked his Web site gear section and he uses a Kemper profiling amp.  Interestingly he also has a Relish Mary guitar..(.the one that's held together by magnets).

're break up, it sounds similar to a Fender Bassman breakup.  
    One thing about digital modelers is that some tweak effects are so easily and commonly applied to patches that wouldn't necessarily have been thought about in the analogue world.

E.g. Some of the low end could be rolled off before hitting the amp model to tighten it up but someone with an analogue setup might never have thought to put an eq pedal there just for that task.

And the compression you refer to, some people may well use a compressor pedal in the way its used all over digital patches but I think it's also quite common for the pedals to be only used as a deliberate effect rather than always-on.

I'm actually awaiting delivery of a nice analogue compressor pedal to go in front of my digital modeller. Very excited!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    edited July 2019
    I like it, sounds terrific, great player too.

reminds me of Andy Timmons' quieter moments

Here he is playing the same time "Blue Ocean" through the Kemper, not as much grit as in the competition:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Sounds, beautiful. Some lovely playing there. Big thumbs up all round from me.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    He's a neck-shaker but you can actually hear the warble as opposed to a lot of neck-shakers where it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds great!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I like it, sounds terrific, great player too.

reminds me of Andy Timmons' quieter moments

Here he is playing the same time "Blue Ocean" through the Kemper, not as much grit as in the competition:

Beautiful.

Heard a few "Guitarist of the Year" finalists and been pleasantly surprised how lovely and tasteful they were.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5446
    Yup, that’s the sweet spot. Complex rig or not, it’s pretty perfect. 
    Stig Trip has stated that he has a Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot pickup in the neck position of his Strat.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Any pointers on a pedal to get somewhere close to that kind of crisp breakup and tone. I’m relatively new to experimenting with drive pedals,  tried a few with with lacklustre results. Using a clean blackface voiced amp.
    edited October 2019
    Zoolooter said:
    Any pointers on a pedal to get somewhere close to that kind of crisp breakup and tone. I’m relatively new to experimenting with drive pedals,  tried a few with with lacklustre results. Using a clean blackface voiced amp.
    You should be able to get close with a number of the lower gain non Tubescreamer pedals, King of Tone, Thorpy Peacekeeper come to mind. Even a good Klone may do it if you keep the gain down and turn up the tone control, you just have to watch the mids with a Klone so keep the gain low but the volume high and let that volume boost help overdrive your amp. The Wampler Tumnus would be one to try.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Zoolooter said:
    If you want a cheap option a joyo sweet baby overdrive is great low gain option. Based on a sweet honey. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Is that his own composition? Lovely playing. Might have to see if I can transcribe that middle section. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Nice playing. Never heard of the chap.... but clearly an excellent musician
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    rsvmark said:
    Nice playing. Never heard of the chap.... but clearly an excellent musician

I seem to remember he used to forage on a dump. Probably the reason for the condition of his guitar.

Great player though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    edited October 2019
    In these type of competitions, that was a welcome and pleasant surprise.

According to his web page, he uses a Kemper - https://stigtrip.com/gear

Not a complicated sound but sometimes hard to get right and it's the perfect combination of clean with a hint of break up but there's a lot of clarity there, too. Liked it!

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Sassafras said:
    He's a neck-shaker but you can actually hear the warble as opposed to a lot of neck-shakers where it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
    Strat necks join right at the top and they are long scale (25") which makes them bendy