The 1975 ripping off Joy Division?

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited July 2019 in Music

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2019
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited July 2019
    Yes, but there is virtually nothing about them that is not ripped off be it image, video style, or godawful music. Hard to say it and not sound like an old fart, but youngsters listening to this are getting a major raw deal compared to the stuff previous generations had because its just...so...shit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    They're not even original in ripping off Joy Division.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    They make Coldplay look edgy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Yes, but there is virtually nothing about them that is not ripped off be it image, video style, or godawful music. Hard to say it and not sound like an old fart, but youngsters listening to this are getting a major raw deal compared to the stuff previous generations had because its just...so...shit
    Agree about the 1975 being shite.  Give Yourself a Try is one of the worst things I've heard for a while. 

Is it a joke?  
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited July 2019
    It’s the try-hard edginess which really rankles. The track above sounds very very weak and anodyne but elements of the video have been deliberately styled to give the impression that it’s some crazy thrasher. More worryingly this is being swallowed wholesale because as its apparently what is known as ‘alternative music’ according to my friends teenage kids
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    It’s the try-hard edginess which really rankles. The track above sounds very very weak and anodyne but elements of the video have been deliberately styled to give the impression that it’s some crazy thrasher. More worryingly this is being swallowed wholesale because this is apparently ‘alternative’ music according to my friends teenage kids
    And Joy Division still sound fantastic 40 years later ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    It’s the try-hard edginess which really rankles. The track above sounds very very weak and anodyne but elements of the video have been deliberately styled to give the impression that it’s some crazy thrasher. More worryingly this is being swallowed wholesale because as its apparently what is known as ‘alternative music’ according to my friends teenage kids
    Agree again, based on an assumption from hearing a few seconds off the track which was more than enough.  

I genuinely have no idea what teenage kids are listening to in the 'alternative' side of things, but I sincerely hope The 1975 is not the best there is.  
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    I like them. I was really impressed with their last album - A Brief Enquiry into Online Relationships. The songs work better listened to as an album, and yes there are cliches, but what pop music isn't fully of them. I thought the production was fab.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    edited July 2019
    To me, an unbelievably shit band. Someone likes them though, so far from me to say they are shit, but I just did. Topman/River Island music.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    They're like a modern Bros I guess

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have the first album, I thought there were some great tracks on that, and they looked to be pretty decent live from a few festival gigs I've seen footage from.

I bet the people going to their gigs have a better time seeing the 1975 live than they would sat at home listening to Joy Division.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_mB5ct5Xis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27134
    The 1975 are undoubtedly complete dogshit, but if we're giving out prizes for ripping off Joy Division then Interpol and Editors would both like a word (both much better bands than 1975, but definitely leaning heavily on JD for inspiration)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    A few years ago they were suggesting they were influenced by The Blue Nile - the ‘Hats’ album in particular. Could never hear myself - they seem to produce drivel of the highest order....
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863
    Can't say I'm a fan of them or his vocal style, but I like the Groove of that "Chocolate" song.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14498
    Speaking of chocolate ...

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    I'm not a huge 1975 fan but half the comments in this thread could have "....and the important thing to remember is I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..." handily suffixed to them.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...